Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Crosshairs AFTER laser collimation / NEWTONIAN 150/750

19 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Star test with high power and turn focuser one way then the other should get airy disc with concentric rings, and collimating in dark is easy shine red light on shiny surface of the Cheshire its very easy.

THANK YOU!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, spaceboy said:

The only way is http://www.telescopehouse.com/revelation-self-center-adapter-1-25.html but in all fairness your eyepieces are going to be held with the same screw configuration so if your Cheshire is lined up showing good collimation the so should your eyepieces.

that makes sense... i'm being pernickety maybe ;)

19 hours ago, Davesellars said:

I noticed from your picture of your setup that you have the 2" extension in as well as the 2" to 1.25" adapter/extension a the same time?  You should be only using one of these in the focuser otherwise you're going to have an issue reaching focus at infinity.  That would probably explain that issue.

Your other issue as you explained in your original post was about when you looked through the focuser and saw a crescent (so not completely illuminated).  Probably best to take another look and take a photo of this (like my photos that I attached to my first post...)

It's really hard to take a picture of what i am seeing but here's the best I can do :

DSC02001.JPG

DSC02005.JPG

On 10/21/2016 at 07:22, spaceboy said:

I think the problem most beginners to Newtonians face is they are terrified of messing with their scope in case they make a mistake. Laser collimators seem to install some sense of self confidence that as long as you get that red dot returning to the collimator all will be perfect.

I say all this as I was once there myself. For months I was happy the laser collimator was taking the worry out of the whole black art of collimation and I was getting the best views from my scope. Then one day I was sat bored at the PC and read this http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro babys collimation guide.htm A collimation cap seemed easy enough to make out of an old focuser cap so out came the drill and 5 minutes later I'm looking down the draw tube to a secondary that was clearly not central. I though what the heck I'll get a Cheshire collimator as a back up as it didn't need batteries and at the same time I could check the collimation that the laser collimator said was spot on.

Needless to say cutting a long story short, collimation was way out and I now stick to a trusty Cheshire and collimation cap to do the job now. I barlow the laser collimator to take the stress out of collimation in the dark but other than that I don't recommend them, not for how easy collimation actually is. I agree it is easy to say collimation is easy now, but I can understand why so many panic especially if they are not confident messing with things. 

OH Yes this was me

Forget the laser and trust the cheshire and then do the star test

Lasers should come with a warning about sanity ?

Archived