NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC1396 and The Veil in Ha

Here's a couple more images from my recent trip down to Cornwall.

29737818223_97d61e4874_h.jpg

IC1396 with a baby Elephant Trunk hanging down from the top, the Garnet Star and several dark nebulae snaking through the frame. 200mm lens at f2.8 on a modded Canon 100D, 53x75 second unguided subs so ~66 minutes in total. I do have a lot more data on this one but unfortunately the framing if off for half of it. Move the camera a bit more than I'd realised when fitting an improvised dew-heater (heat pack in a sock). Pretty happy with the final result though.

(Here's a bonus widefield taken the same night with my 14mm lens, with IC1396 near the centre of the frame, I like showing DSOs in context.)

30241859792_651266ab5b_h.jpg

Finally, here's the Veil complex in Ha.

30360081005_7a2b2233f6_b.jpg

200mm lens at f2.8 on a modded Canon 100D with 12nm clip-in filter, 36x120 second subs, 72 minutes. Can't do the beautiful filaments of the Veil justice at this short focal length, but for a sketch it's come out well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Glad you like them.

Looking at the IC1396 again this morning I was less happy with it, which is so often the way. Here's a tweaked attempt.

30083200350_be389abc1e_h.jpg

I've altered the star colours a little, reduced the haziness that was creeping in at top-right and top-left and backed off a little on the sharpening of the nebulosity (it's a bit of a compromise, it could do with more data really).

12 hours ago, StuartJPP said:

IC1396 is a tricky subject and not easy to frame by eye as you can't see much other than the Garnet Star. A good selection of images.

Luckily I was imaging from a dark site so could see the nebula clearly enough on my framing shots, I just forgot to check the framing properly after fumbling about with a sock in the dark. ;) Looking again, I haven't lost as much as I thought, only about 20 minutes or so.

I would like to add more data to this as when I try to bring out the structure of the nebula noise stars to interfere. Trouble is, I've had little success stacking runs from multiple nights in the past for various reasons.

Archived