SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Great Outreach Night on Mauna Kea

HiloDon

Hi All,

We had a great night last night using our new CPC1100HD with Hyperstar at the Mauna Kea VIS (Visitors Information Station).  The scope initially had serious tracking problems, but was finally fixed by Celestron after two trips back to them.  They covered all the shipping charges that were not cheap.  We used the SX Ultrastar C and Paul's new release of Starlight Live.  The visitors loved the show and really enjoy the live view concept.  Attached is a sample of the more than 15 DSO's we viewed last night.  Hope you enjoy them as much as we did, especially considering it was a full moon night.  This setup is a great Outreach tool.

Don

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_0318.JPG

IMG_0319.JPG

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_0325.JPG

IMG_0326.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

Great selection, and glad to hear your setup is now working. Its amazing what you can do even with a full moon e.g. seeing much at all of Barnard's Galaxy under those conditions is surprising. Did you use any filters?

EAA is just right for outreach. I've been to a few outreach sessions with conventional kit and viewers were lucky to see more than 3 objects during the session, and then under pressure of a queue... very frustrating. Being able to show these objects on a screen and talk about them once only must be much more relaxing for all concerned.

Martin

Lovely captures Don. Its interesting to see objects in their 'natural' state in the rich star fields, I believe many post processed astro images reduce the star background in order to make the object stand out (which is fair enough), but reality is very different.

Interestingly I believe your C11 with an Ultrastar shows exactly the same FOV as my C8 with a Lodestar so gives me an idea of what to expct with my setup at F2 in terms of FOV.

image.png

Amazing! That set-up is singing on all fronts - the field of view is stunning and the detail is brilliant.

Glad the application is helping facilitate your great work in the out reach events. Its always lovely to hear folks getting enjoyment out of using it!

Archived