Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How can I camouflage a pier

MikeP

I just looked at Mr Ed's post - http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,29183.0.html and decided it would be good if I could build a permanent pier like his.

Unfortunately, there is only one place in the garden I could do this and in order to get planning permission from Mrs MikeP the pier would need to be disguised when not in use. All I can think of is having something like a hollow fibreglass garden ornament to slide over it - if such things exist.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Mike

Hmmm, the birdbath/sundial might be a possibility. Would you envisage sitting the bath bit on the plate?

Just for preliminary thinking, how tall does the pier need to be? I usually set up my tripod to about waist height, so I'm assuming the mounting plate would need to be about the same height?

Mike

Why not buy a car cover, or some such, a green one if possible, tack some artificial Ivy all over it and drape it over. Fix it into the ground with two or three tent pegs.

You could use any artificial foliage/plants really.

Ron. :shocked:

Nice idea Ron, but the position I have in mind is where I'm currently landscaping the last ugly bit of the garden and it would be at a focal point as viewed from the lounge. As you can see from the picture, Mrs MikeP is quite a gardener - if I was to use the word artificial, I'm not sure what would happen. :shocked:

Mike

7273_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I'm so sorry Mike, It was a dreadful suggestion, and to inflict a monstrous object onto you wife's lovely garden would be unforgivable. Please don't tell her it was me. If ever I have the pleasure to pay you a visit, she would maim me for sure. My good lady loves her garden too, and I don't dare even cut the grass for her in case I get the stripes crooked. :shocked:

Ron. :oops:

Just looking at the garden picture, very nice by the way :shocked: . I had an idea...... how about having a casting or mould made with a similar design to the sundial/birdbath in the right of the picture?? It wouldn't look too out of place?? Unless the pier is going to be slap bang in the middle of the garden??

Only a thought.

James

My Mrs has just seen your garden Picture, and she passes on her congratulations on having such a lovely place. Your lass must have put a lot of work into it, but I'm sure you helped Mike. :shocked:

I can see the stripes on the lawn too. You must have a ride on mower for that size lawn.

Ron. :lol:

Simple!! Arch trellis with climbers each side, And in the middle of the arch is a garden Mirror which your pier goes behind out of view.

Or you could enlighten her on how good a mole detector this contraption is. :shocked:

Jeff.

How about a 'folly' you could build a kind of fake ruin around it OR how about a fake telescope - sort of antiquey looking that would look like a bit of clever sculpture - brass maybe or copper construction.

If I had a garedn like that it would have an observatory on it and no arguments LOL - weirldy when married I did have a garden like that but ( at the time ) no interest in astro. sighs - these things are always about timing. :?

Archived