Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The EQ3 DSO Challenge

Fascinating objects these planetary nebulae. M27 Dumbbell Nebula : 35 subs @ 60secs. Good clear sky - could just make out the Milky Way - must try and capture some of it.

M27v1.jpg

• Like 5

According to Wikipedia, the apparent magnitudes of the Dumbbell Nebula and Cocoon Nebula are very similar. I know this isn't an exact science but, even with 240 second exposures for the Cocoon (compared to 60 sec for the Dumbbell), the nebula was still quite faint. The sky was perhaps a bit less clear. Can anyone comment on this difference?

Here is the Cocoon 'final' image - needs a lot more input. 23 subs @ 240 sec.

cocoon7.jpg

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, bobro said:

According to Wikipedia, the apparent magnitudes of the Dumbbell Nebula and Cocoon Nebula are very similar. I know this isn't an exact science but, even with 240 second exposures for the Cocoon (compared to 60 sec for the Dumbbell), the nebula was still quite faint. The sky was perhaps a bit less clear. Can anyone comment on this difference?

Nice capture Bob, you're doing well in this warm weather with short nights!!

Magnitude is not really the best way of assessing whether 2 objects will image similarly as magnitude and surface brightness are very different things... magnitude is a measurement of the total light from the object as if it were compacted into a star like point... whereas surface brightness is exactly what it says on the tin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Art Gecko said:

magnitude is a measurement of the total light from the object as if it were compacted into a star like point... whereas surface brightness is exactly what it says on the tin.

Ah! Thanks Art. Makes sense now as the Dumbbell is smaller than the Cocoon. I must find a good source of surface brightness values for potential targets.

Must admit, I didn't expect to find the summer nights quite so interesting in terms of targets - but there are plenty around!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bobro said:

Ah! Thanks Art. Makes sense now as the Dumbbell is smaller than the Cocoon. I must find a good source of surface brightness values for potential targets.

Must admit, I didn't expect to find the summer nights quite so interesting in terms of targets - but there are plenty around!

I'm not sure if there's an actual scale of surface brightness.. I've never really looked... but shooting nebulae is definitely a level above galaxies in terms of getting everything just right.... filters will be your best friend since your camera is modded, make the most of the narrow band access!

RE summer targets.. I'm totally with you on that... this time last year I was pretty much just an 'observer' and the summer months were basically a wash out, not bothering to stay up late enough to actually see anything... since getting into imaging, I've learned so much more about the things in the night sky I never thought I'd get to see!... and I realised the summer is the best time to see some of the most beautiful treasures of the greatest galaxy of them all..... our galaxy.... it passes over our head every night

MilkywayHome.jpg

• Like 1

Some great images have been posted since my last visit here ☺

We are currently in Holland sailing, had 2 nights on a relatively dark island in the Veerse meer and captured a couple of milky way shots but forgot my camera lead so can't upload until I get home next week unless I sus out the wifi setting on my camera .

Keep up the good work guys. 

Nige.

• Like 1

bobro - fascinating details in your two nebulae.   

Art - I saw your back garden milky way pic and nearly had a heart attack.  Your house and tree placements are so very very similar to my house!   For a fleeting moment, I had a crazy idea that someone had been sneakily setting up their kit in *my* back garden. (I'm sure there are better Dark Sites than my back garden!)

In the meantime, it's unexpectedly clear here tonight (but a little windy)  I'm hoping to catch M53 and NGC5053 (a faint globular cluster) both in the same frame.  It never really gets truly dark here at the moment (I need to wait until the end of July for some proper Astronomical darkness....)

23 hours ago, mikey2000 said:

Art - I saw your back garden milky way pic and nearly had a heart attack.  Your house and tree placements are so very very similar to my house!   For a fleeting moment, I had a crazy idea that someone had been sneakily setting up their kit in *my* back garden. (I'm sure there are better Dark Sites than my back garden!)

@mikey2000 That is your house... I've been secretly living in your attic for 3 months... I've searched the whole country and I can't find a darker garden to set up shop in... actually, I'm just kidding mate... if you find a hobo with a telescope in your attic it's NOT me! honest!

Do post the pics of M53 though, if you've managed to get them, I appreciate a globular cluster shot as much as the next astronomer! interested to see your results.

Better positioning this time on the Pelican Nebula. Longest exposure I've given so far to any image - 20 subs @ 480 secs. As you can see, still not a great result. The blue gaseous 'haze' got in the way of the red pelican, reducing contrast. Will need to practice processing on this one.

Pelican5.jpg

• Like 3

Here's my attempt at the Crescent Nebula NGC 6888 in Cygnus.   I think I still need a modded camera or darker skies (it just won't get truly dark here at the moment).  Cygnus should be nicely visible for a number of months yet, well into the coming dark nights so I hope to add more data to this one.

35379736652_1fed924f89_b.jpg

• Like 7

And from near the western horizon, here is M53 and the nearby NGC5053.   I think this one would be best photographed late spring when it's much higher overhead for me.  The NGC5053 is supposed to be a globular cluster but it's quite faint, especially when photographed rather close to the recently completed sunset...  It looks more like an open cluster in my pic.

As a bonus, Astrotortilla pointed out a faint tiny fuzzy galaxy IC858 in the bottom left corner.  I'm not 100% convinced!

35417047551_d91cc5dbe9_b.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mikey2000 said:

Here's my attempt at the Crescent Nebula NGC 6888 in Cygnus.

I like the sharpness and clarity of the image Mikey. Can you tell me what subs were taken? (It helps me evaluate the image/target and also decide if I should have a go at it.)

Thanks

Bob

Not getting brilliant results trying to image Ha on a DSLR with a sensor temperature of 29 degrees... but here's a 50% Ha lum with a standard DSLR image of the crescent from May. Interesting that Mikey seems to have got some OIII (the blue nebulosity):

59512a1e26e25_crescenthaosc.thumb.png.62ddccce8879cdd8f212caae5cb18f7a.png

• Like 2

Seems the flavour of the Month is the Crescent Nebula, so why not join the party..

This is the first time I have tried this object, I couldn't really make it out visually so was guessing a bit as to its location, I was thrilled when it showed up on the camera screen, so here is 80 x 20 sec exposures, ISO 3200, 2- x darks, 15 x bias, Skywatcher 150p on eq3-2, still not getting fantastic polar alignment, so sticking to under 30 sec exposures,, stretched in GIMP, 2nd pic cropped heavily and messed with a bit too much, but I kind of like the effect.

Also, I know I need to add flats but can not get on with them, there is always a dark band across the top, will try to re-process with flats later.

595160de92939_25thJune.thumb.jpg.ef1fd34698a6a759857be2bea82728f0.jpg

595160d42c129_25thJune-Copy.thumb.jpg.f3ae87701f4a8db7fcb42a325e31d72a.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks guys for the images of the Crescent Nebula. It's certainly not the easiest subject! If I try it I think a test with a good long exposure is called for - perhaps 10-12 minutes and preferably with a darker sky.

I think this one is a bit beyond me!... You guys are getting great results, but even so you're needing longer exposures than I can get and with modded cameras... If I try for it I have a feeling I will get nothing more than stars!

14 hours ago, Peco4321 said:

I managed with just 20 sec exposures so go for it. 

That's true actually Peter! And well done!... Maybe I'll give it a go if the clouds ever clear again.

How come you're struggling with polar alignment though? and can you show us an example of your flats?

5 hours ago, Art Gecko said:

polar alignment

Not sure really as I have a polar scope fitted and get Polaris right in the circle but 30 seconds seems to be my limit. The tripod is level so not sure what else to check. 

I'll send a flat later.