Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Widefield Timelapse - Milkyway & M31 (I think) plus Orion into beautiful sunrise

Hello again all, 

I seem to be on a roll this evening. As per my previous posting I have been checking through my archives just for kicks. I have just come across some timelapse footage which I took specfically for fill ins on my wedding video. Not sure if the sunrise one really fits into this forum category but seeing as a widefield view of Orion is visible at the beginning Im hoping you'll let me off!

My wife and I got married in Rhodes last August and so we ended up effectively having a week holiday, the ceremony and a week honeymoon. It was fantastic and I wanted to document the whole experience so that our guests to the evening do when we returned to the UK could have a glimpse into our amazing time there. Being a fairly dutiful amateur photographer I took thousands of photos but wanted to break the "wedding video" up into the 3 sections with some interlude videos to break the pictures up. I ended up taking some timelapses using the feature built into the D810. The two that stood out as appealing from a Stargazers perspective are attached.

The first was taken near Gadoura Reservoir (which was so dark it was spooky) looking north north east. I left the camera plugging away for a few hours to get the clip. If anyone has any skills in bringing out more detail in video clips please feel free. I think its M31 that can be seen in the video aswell. I cant recall the settings I used now but believe it may have been something like 2 second exposures at ISO1600 with a photo being taken every 4 seconds. The Moon was very bright so it wasnt the best conditions.

The second was taken on the cliff edge overlooking Lindos Bay. Orion can be seen clearly fading into the morning sun but what made this so appealing to me was how the clouds interacted with the sun as it rose. When I set the tripod to capture the sunrise I never expected anything like what I captured. 

The rest of the wedding video came out a treat thanks to moments like the ones captured, I don't think the guests quite realised what really went into it though!

comments welcome as always

_DSC2312.MOV

_DSC2615.MOV

amazing timelapses. Yes in the first video that is M31 (Andromeda) and for a bright moon that is some very good detail in the captures. The second video was again brilliant and the sunrise was stunning. Brilliant and keep up the great work, i defiantly need to try this out, just not sure how to put it into a video like this.

thankyou! I used the in built timelapse feature on the Nikon D810. Like an intervalometer you set the number of exposures and the time between each. Leaving the camera in manual you can then set ISO, Shutter speed and aperture. You can stop the capture any time so I just set the video length to be a few minutes and shut it off when the event has happened.

Wow,

I love the second video. You made a great job of catching a beautiful sunrise. The way those crepuscular rays evolve is  mesmerising.

If you don't mind, I will take a still frame somewhere around the 55 sec mark as a background for my computer screen.

Archived