Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

calibrating in phd2

iwols

Calibrate where you will be imaging.  Normally I slew to target, plate solve, sync, re-slew, calibrate.  Only time I wouldn't do that is if I am drift aligning in which case I would calibrate in the South at the equator then after alignment recalibrate where I will be imaging.

Guide scope should be aligned to the imaging scope.

The mount must be trackinging to be able to calibrate.

Hi. If you are using eqmod, you need calibrate once only near the equator and then slew to where ever you want to image. Yes. In eqmod you must first UNPARK and then hit Sidereal. If you are guiding st4 you must calibrate on each target you image. HTH.

15 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi. If you are using eqmod, you need calibrate once only near the equator and then slew to where ever you want to image. Yes. In eqmod you must first UNPARK and then hit Sidereal. If you are guiding st4 you must calibrate on each target you image. HTH.

Great news. I didn't know i had to recalibrate for each target,  i hope that helps with my problems guiding too.  

Generally if the targets are close you shouldn't need to recalibrate, if it's the other side of the sky though there is a good chance it will throw a wobbler unless tell it you flipped or recalibrate.

Whilst in a perfect world guide scope alignment would have no effect on guiding accuracy a misaligned guide scope will induce field rotation if your polar alignment is not perfect (and who's is?).  The amount of field rotation will depend on how far out of alignment they are and how bad your PA is.  In normal situations it would not be noticeable on a single sub but if the alignment is a long way out you will have trails.

It would also be noticeable in stacking if you haven't set the software to account for rotation.

Archived