Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Philips stargazing yearly map books

Just looking to buy a annually Philips. Stargazing book with maps the 2005 up to 2016 and now 2017 Iam a beginner at this new hobby  and I thought the stars in these books always stay the same  position except for the four season the are in different parts of the sky or like if you live in the Southern Hemisphere  they see star in hat we don't in uk or vicer versa  so what the difference between 2005 to 2016 besides the year thanks Adidaz 29  clear skies

You're correct - the stars stay the same - but it's the position of Earth that changes our view of things as we orbit the sun and spin and go through the seasons. To be honest - year on year for a beginner you're not going to notice huge changes apart from the orientation of constellations and some objects appearing higher/lower or dipping under or popping over the horizon. I found this all quite fascinating when I first started the hobby - imho it's best experienced in the field - and you can always read up on individual items on the net.

Buy a star map or annual for reference by all means - but a whole bunch of annuals may be a little overkill when the money could be better spent on an essential item (eg eyepiece, filter, adaptor etc). Hth :)

Has Stellarium  ever been suggested for you ?  http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/
Not a book, but a Planetarium that is up-to-date, just a marvelous piece of software. Go get it, its FREE.

There is a paid version for the mobile phone, but that's not to say you shouldn't buy a book. I own several of the Philips guides, they are very good, but I don't see any in my collection that are annuals, but I will have the latest in print!

20 hours ago, laudropb said:

As you say the positions of the stars do not change much. The planets, minor planets and to an extent the Moon for a given date in the year do change. Is it worth buying them for this? That's really up to yourself.

I have it on my ipad

Hi, my wife and I have always used the yearly book, the stars don't change positions but there is always more info in there about what's happening to the planets and the locale around our neck of the 'woods' (I mean 'stars').  Well, we like it on printed page, too much online is mesmerizing I find.  We also like the Cambridge Star maps for the same reason, a great publication!

Archived