Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGP's Framing & Mosaic

nightster

I agree.  For a time I thought that it was just for mosaics, but I couldn't have been more wrong.  I use it for getting very precise framing on potential targets which I then plate solve to.  This is so much easier than the trial and error approach of takng an image, nudging the scope, taking another image and so on.  And, as a result, it saves loads of time.  

I don't see a downside.

As above, I've been using it for 2 years and simply would not be without it - and I don't do mosaics. :)  Prior to that I used the FOV indicator in StarryNight Pro and passed the coordinates over to SGPro but it was never as accurate (even when using StarryNight's DSS plugin to pull down a real image - usually in 30" sized chunks).

ChrisH

I ask because last season I got some great data on several targets but not enough to complete many of my images and I know I can plate solve to get on those targets but the rotation is a concern. I tried this without software aid on my M45 only to way off on rotation. Can someone describe the process of getting back onto a target and getting that rotation close to last year's subs? I see that SGP has a manual rotator option but haven't tried it. I assume the software framer is more robust.

In SGP you can build a sequence around an existing image and if you plate solve with the manual rotator enabled it'll prompt you to rotate the camera x degrees and then check the orientation as part of the centering process.

I can start with a parked scope, run a sequence, be on target (within 10 pixels), focused better than I can do by eye with a bhatinov mask and imaging in under 10 minutes. SGP is an amazingly powerful piece of software for a great price :)

## Edit, not sure what happened here, @mods, can this reply be moved to this thread please; 

48 minutes ago, Starflyer said:

In SGP you can build a sequence around an existing image and if you plate solve with the manual rotator enabled it'll prompt you to rotate the camera x degrees and then check the orientation as part of the centering process.

I can start with a parked scope, run a sequence, be on target (within 10 pixels), focused better than I can do by eye with a bhatinov mask and imaging in under 10 minutes. SGP is an amazingly powerful piece of software for a great price :)

Is this part of the Framing & Mosaic or the included manual rotator?

Archived