Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Short but sweet

Beulah

Observing session from garden, 28/08/16

GEAR: Skywatcher 400p (16" f/4.4)

SQM reading: 21.14 – 21.20 MPSAS   6.1 – 6.24 NELM

Transparency:   PANTS/10 - 6/10

Seeing  6/10 improved to 8/10 before cloud came in - typical.

High dew - SLUG COUNT HIGH 8/10

Started at 10pm. Cloud came in 11.30pm.

The night began with the usual trip to M13 - stars were resolved to the core at 72x but could not take any more magnification, despite the mirrors being well collimated. I put it down to the high moisture in the sky, evidenced by local LP causing low level skyglow.

M57 was next; through this telescope, it always appears quite bright and white, with a gauzy centre. No central star could be seen - but will make it an ambition to spot it. Maybe my eyesight is rubbish!

NGC 6934 – resolved as tiny globular cluster, compact and nebulaic, with no resolving stars.

Abeiro was next: Very bright double, blue and yellow was clearly seen, but I wish I had a smaller aperture to enjoy the more saturated colours it offers.

NGC 6960 (Veil Nebula) - This was a stunning target with the O-III filter; the lower part of the nebula had large, glimmering filaments. The rest of the region (NGC 6995 and NGC 6992) was stunning; almost photographic with plenty of curled whisps and strong stucture. I have only seen this region with modest TV plossls and must obtain a wide angle eyepiece to see this in all its glory

M71 in Saggitta: However I view this, it always appears to be quite a messy globular that looks more like a dense open cluster! It was easy to slew the telescope to study M27. I was able to ascertain the apple core shape, but with a filmy layer behind.

Some people are lucky enough to have their pets keep them company, but I was even more fortunate to be surrounded by slugs; one was on my tablet, another on my Sky Atlas; but sadly, because of the lack of lighting, a few came a cropper underfoot, including a few curious snails. I am grateful I didn't bring a beer out!

Overall, a nice night to re-acquaint myself with the sky since some effort made in April of this year but I wished that the seeing and transparency could have been better.

Entertaining report, Beulah - the Slug Scale surpasses Antoniadi in rank of importance, I think.  

WIth those kind of SQM levels you must get some awesome views in the 16" - hope you get plenty more opportunities over the coming months.

Paul

1 minute ago, faulksy said:

what a lovely report sam, sqm reading of 21 + in your garden is ace

i want the centre star as well :icon_biggrin:

Yep, good to have something to aim for. I have seen the Ring Neb so many times, it's good to be able to watch out for something else.

That reading was obtained behind a LP screen as there is a bit of local LP.

Archived