eyepiece sets question!!

Dark Lawton

1 hour ago, Putaendo Patrick said:

Another option you might consider is the Baader 8-24mm zoom, possibly packaged with the Baader Barlow which will give 3.5mm to 10.5mm, which should work very well in your telescope and give you an almost complete range of magnifications. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-hyperion-zoom-eyepiece.html

I'd totally overlooked the Baader zoom as being with in budget. I agree it would be a far better option to the eyepiece sets available.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Putaendo Patrick said:
18 hours ago, Putaendo Patrick said:

If this i what you are thinking of, the Meade 4000 kit costs about 200 pounds and comes with 6 Plossl EPs plus a Barlow and a few filters in an aluminium box. Bought individually the EPs cost an average of 30 pounds each.

The EPs are: 6.4mm, 9.7mm, 12.4mm, 15mm, 32mm and 40mm. In theory, using the x2 Barlow will extend the range with 3.2mm, 4.8mm, 6.2mm, 7.5mm, 16mm and 20mm.

Frankly I would suggest this is too much, with considerable redundant overlap and some magnifications which will be difficult to use. The quality of the Barlow may not be particularly good, and this may be a weak link in the optical train. You will probably not have too much use for the filters (which in any case you could buy later). The Meade 4000 series are acceptable EPs for their price, but overall the kit doesn't offer a fantastic deal. With patience, you may also find these (and similar) EPs second-hand at under 20 pounds each.

However, with a budget of 200-300 pounds, I personally would assemble a collection of fewer EPs but with better quality, possibly thinking of a better Barlow either now or in the future. As you say, you already have a good 9mm as well as a 25mm which should be good enough for the moment.

As you gain experience in this hobby, you will begin to find out what type of targets most interest you, for example, Moon and planets, double stars, DSOs etc. and this will determine the magnifications and field of views that you need. You may also find some types of EP are more comfortable than others, high magnification Plossls for example have very limited eye relief meaning your eyeball has to be very close to the glass.

About a year ago Mark Lawton started an astronomy group in Barnsley, I don't know how it's worked out. But, if they have observing evenings that you can attend, you will have the opportunity to see and look through different EPs and discuss their merits with their owners: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Barnsley.Astronomy/

Perhaps your cheapest option for now would be to buy a decent x2 Barlow, for example the X-Cel. This would extend your 9mm (x138) to give a magnification of x276, really an absolute maximum in the UK and really only for the Moon. The 25mm (x50) with the Barlow would give x100. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/barlows/celestron-x-cel-barlow.html

Then I might add a 15mm EP which would give x83 and x165 with the Barlow, for example: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-eyepieces/vixen-npl-eyepieces.html

Another option you might consider is the Baader 8-24mm zoom, possibly packaged with the Baader Barlow which will give 3.5mm to 10.5mm, which should work very well in your telescope and give you an almost complete range of magnifications. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-hyperion-zoom-eyepiece.html

If this i what you are thinking of, the Meade 4000 kit costs about 200 pounds and comes with 6 Plossl EPs plus a Barlow and a few filters in an aluminium box. Bought individually the EPs cost an average of 30 pounds each.

The EPs are: 6.4mm, 9.7mm, 12.4mm, 15mm, 32mm and 40mm. In theory, using the x2 Barlow will extend the range with 3.2mm, 4.8mm, 6.2mm, 7.5mm, 16mm and 20mm.

Frankly I would suggest this is too much, with considerable redundant overlap and some magnifications which will be difficult to use. The quality of the Barlow may not be particularly good, and this may be a weak link in the optical train. You will probably not have too much use for the filters (which in any case you could buy later). The Meade 4000 series are acceptable EPs for their price, but overall the kit doesn't offer a fantastic deal. With patience, you may also find these (and similar) EPs second-hand at under 20 pounds each.

However, with a budget of 200-300 pounds, I personally would assemble a collection of fewer EPs but with better quality, possibly thinking of a better Barlow either now or in the future. As you say, you already have a good 9mm as well as a 25mm which should be good enough for the moment.

As you gain experience in this hobby, you will begin to find out what type of targets most interest you, for example, Moon and planets, double stars, DSOs etc. and this will determine the magnifications and field of views that you need. You may also find some types of EP are more comfortable than others, high magnification Plossls for example have very limited eye relief meaning your eyeball has to be very close to the glass.

About a year ago Mark Lawton started an astronomy group in Barnsley, I don't know how it's worked out. But, if they have observing evenings that you can attend, you will have the opportunity to see and look through different EPs and discuss their merits with their owners: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Barnsley.Astronomy/

Perhaps your cheapest option for now would be to buy a decent x2 Barlow, for example the X-Cel. This would extend your 9mm (x138) to give a magnification of x276, really an absolute maximum in the UK and really only for the Moon. The 25mm (x50) with the Barlow would give x100. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/barlows/celestron-x-cel-barlow.html

Then I might add a 15mm EP which would give x83 and x165 with the Barlow, for example: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-eyepieces/vixen-npl-eyepieces.html

I don't how good the vixens are compared to the x-cell XL series of eps because I was thinking of starting with just adding some more x-cell xl ep's to my collection or even the BST stargazers, tho I have to admit I never thought about the Baader Hyperion Zoom ep with a balow lens but wouldn't separate ep's perform better than the zoom??????

I have the Meade 4000 set (came "free" with a scope) and some of them have never been out of the wrapping, the Barlow is actually OK, I also had a Baader 8-24 zoom which was an excellent eyepiece, highly recommend it.

Dave

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I have the Meade 4000 set (came "free" with a scope) and some of them have never been out of the wrapping, the Barlow is actually OK, I also had a Baader 8-24 zoom which was an excellent eyepiece, highly recommend it.

Dave

the Badder hyperion zoom honestly never thought about that so may have look seems to come with a deal 235 fot the ep and balow

The Baader Hyperion zoom is very good. Optically it won't compare to fixed focal length EPs in the 200 pound range (where you could easily spend 1,000 pounds to get a similar range of magnifications!) but it will compare very favorably indeed to a selection of EPs in the 50-60 pound range, especially in a relatively slow scope such as yours. In the long term you might want to add a couple of more expensive fixed EPs for specific types of target, (few of the experienced stargazers in this forum can resist :evil4: EPs are addictive), but the zoom will give you a lot of mileage and help you discover your specific needs.

The Vixen NPL line are very good quality standard-design Plossls. Unless you want to pay double for Televue Plossls, they are probably as good as you get in this optical configuration. Plossls were invented some 150 years ago but only really became popular in the 1980s and at that time were top! Since then however new configurations have left the Plossl a little outdated with limited field of view and limited eye relief (especially in higher magnifications). Even so, Plossls are good performers and the Vixens are good quality.

I suggested a Vixen NPL 15mm because, I think, X-Cels only come in 12mm and 18mm. X-Cels have a 60° field of view, compared to 50° with the Vixen, and the X-Cels have about 16mm eye relief compared to 11mm with the Vixen 15mm EP. In terms of optical quality, I doubt there's a great difference - some people might prefer the simpler 4 element design of the Plossl over the 6 elements of the X-Cel arguing that less glass is better.

Another 15mm contender is the BST Explorer also with 60° FOV and 6 glass elements. And overall I doubt that X-Cels are any better than the BSTs.  http://www.365astronomy.com/15mm-BST-Explorer-ED-Eyepiece.html

2 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

The BST Explorer get great reviews £49, they are very good eyepieces for the price the 15mm came top in Sky at night magazine with comparative  eyepieces  I have 6 of them and I am never disappointed with the views.

An advantage of sticking to one line of EPs, as in the case of the X-Cels, is that they are parfocal, meaning that there is no need for major refocusing when you change EPs.

A 15mm EP used with a x2 Barlow to give an effective 7.5mm provides a magnification of approx. x165. The 9mm you already have provides x138. In my experience, these two magnifications would be very useful for a range of observations including planets and double stars. Not everyone likes Barlows, again more glass and a certain inconvenience in changing EPs, but they are an economic way of increasing your range.

Just now, Louis D said:

Surely you got the difference between Baader and bladder was meant as a joke.

Just now, Louis D said:

Surely you got the difference between Baader and bladder was meant as a joke.

no lol I only just noticed pmsl I been watching a film on the pc so I didn't take much notice haha

1 hour ago, Dark Lawton said:

still given me a lot to think about whether I should go for a few BST's or X-CELL XL ep's or the bladder zoom with a barlow lens

The BST'S are par focal as the xcels both very good eyepieces for the money as said 2x barlow if you buy 3 eyepieces you are in theory have 6 eyepieces. 

On 8/26/2016 at 13:46, Dark Lawton said:

I have been told that the meade 4000 eye piece set is decent if not good

Just to directly address your first question on sets, this set has an odd collection of focal lengths.  Why include both the 40mm and 32mm when they yield the same true field of view?  The 40mm is a specialized eyepiece most beginners would never use.  The set then jumps from 32mm to 15mm.  There are 20mm and 26mm eyepieces in this line, and the 20mm in particular would have been a good midpoint between the included 15mm and 32mm eyepieces.  The 12.4mm is a bit close to the 15mm in magnification.  So overall, I would consider this set a waste of money unless you can pick it up for half the going price which is typical on the used market.  These often get thrown in with higher end telescope packages for free and people dump them in the used market.

27 minutes ago, Dark Lawton said:

well its seem I may go with the x-cell xl ones as they seem more easily available to buy in online stores unless I bought off ebay but I wold be worried about fakes as usual from ebay anyone ever bought bst's ep's from ebay

I've bought from Sky's the Limit (skies_unlimited) on ebay, and the proprietor Alan is great.  He works with the customer, answers emails promptly, and doesn't overcharge for international shipping.  He reminds me of Manish at Agena in some respects.  Probably the most hassle free purchase from the UK I've ever had.  No issues with import duties or customs, either.

15 hours ago, Dark Lawton said:

anyone ever bought bst's ep's from ebay

I bought an 8mm BST late in the game after the positive recommendations here.

It's horses for courses. Initially I didn't like it due to the blackouts. I was finding it difficult to get into a comfortable viewing position with the eyepiece. It seems to be better now that I am used to it.

Note: Alan will take a customer return back for a full refund if you don't like the eyepiece and send it back "as new" no questions asked - you pay postage.

But if I have a Celestron X-cell LX that works, and you are happy with it, why change a winning formula.

Trying other peoples gear out might help you to determine what suits your needs, and what is comfortable on the eye.

Some people like the BST's, some like Televue & Pentax. For me the Explore Scientific 82 degrees are my favourite eyepieces.

If you ask ten people, you will get 10 different answers.

1 hour ago, Reeny said:

Some people like the BST's, some like Televue & Pentax. For me the Explore Scientific 82 degrees are my favourite eyepieces.

If you ask ten people, you will get 10 different answers.

I have Tele Vue, Pentax and some BST's - I like them all ! :icon_biggrin:

ES 82's are great as well.

There has never been as good a choice of eyepieces for all tastes and budgets as there is today. This can make choosing them a bit more complicated of course !

Much has been said regards the eyepiece-sets available out there, and they should usually be avoided. And the query into the type of telescope you have (Celestron 5SE). But I haven't seen the what objects interest you out there, so I'll venture this one:

Do you have any good ideas of the varieties of stellar entities which you are most interested by? I realize you said you are new to all this, and this might mean you don't yet know. But many people go into astronomy already knowing what things they want to examine for themselves. And this is also an important consideration in determining what types & focal-lengths of eyepieces would work the best for your ambitions. Some of us astrophiles, who've been in the grips of the 'Astro-Bug' for many years, have found they like it all. Or their interests change often. So there is often no right answer, or wrong answer either! :p But this will help asking for future-reference.

It also serves to explain why many people here list more than one telescope in their signatures in these threads. Myself included. Only time will tell where you'll land. But for now, it looks to me that you've made some excellent choices. The X-Cel-series are very highly regarded by many people.

By the way - do you have Stellarium yet? Or never heard of it? Stellarium is a fantastic software-program which will show you the nighttime sky from your location in the 4-cardinal-points of the compass. The best part: Stellarium is completely free. Similar software can cost one over £200! Just let us know, please? I can shoot you off a link and further instructions.

Enjoy!

Dave

3 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Much has been said regards the eyepiece-sets available out there, and they should usually be avoided. And the query into the type of telescope you have (Celestron 5SE). But I haven't seen the what objects interest you out there, so I'll venture this one:

Do you have any good ideas of the varieties of stellar entities which you are most interested by? I realize you said you are new to all this, and this might mean you don't yet know. But many people go into astronomy already knowing what things they want to examine for themselves. And this is also an important consideration in determining what types & focal-lengths of eyepieces would work the best for your ambitions. Some of us astrophiles, who've been in the grips of the 'Astro-Bug' for many years, have found they like it all. Or their interests change often. So there is often no right answer, or wrong answer either! :p But this will help asking for future-reference.

It also serves to explain why many people here list more than one telescope in their signatures in these threads. Myself included. Only time will tell where you'll land. But for now, it looks to me that you've made some excellent choices. The X-Cel-series are very highly regarded by many people.

By the way - do you have Stellarium yet? Or never heard of it? Stellarium is a fantastic software-program which will show you the nighttime sky from your location in the 4-cardinal-points of the compass. The best part: Stellarium is completely free. Similar software can cost one over £200! Just let us know, please? I can shoot you off a link and further instructions.

Enjoy!

Dave

hi I bought the 5se as it seemed a decent scope to start with for the planets and some dso's and tbh that is what I am interest in I have Stellarium but have not used it much so just getting use to it, still working out how to set my location as I said tho I have not been on it much as yet but hope that answer your question to what I am interested in

Though I rarely recommend TeleVue® to people, as it's quite expensive, I make an exception whan it comes to Barlows. 2X or 3X and others too. Here's my reason:

A Barlow not only magnifies the view you're seeing, it will also magnify and defects in the scopes' lens/mirror. As well as may be inherent in the Barlow itself. Many people go 'Barlow-Hopping' from one low-priced one to another - and the Used-market for astro-goodies tend to have an inordinate number of them. And many people just give up on them altogther. But TeleVue® is top-tier - their goods tend to be arguably the finest in the world - and there's no place to go from the top. Or only down.

Other Barlows are comparable, but I'll defer to others to talk about these. Low-priced Barlows are often the 'weakest-link' in the optical-train.

Happy Barlowing,

Dave

19 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Though I rarely recommend TeleVue® to people, as it's quite expensive, I make an exception whan it comes to Barlows. 2X or 3X and others too. Here's my reason:

A Barlow not only magnifies the view you're seeing, it will also magnify and defects in the scopes' lens/mirror. As well as may be inherent in the Barlow itself. Many people go 'Barlow-Hopping' from one low-priced one to another - and the Used-market for astro-goodies tend to have an inordinate number of them. And many people just give up on them altogther. But TeleVue® is top-tier - their goods tend to be arguably the finest in the world - and there's no place to go from the top. Or only down.

Other Barlows are comparable, but I'll defer to others to talk about these. Low-priced Barlows are often the 'weakest-link' in the optical-train.

Happy Barlowing,

Dave

I just looked on ebay as they don't sell them in the local online store I normally go to lol and they are going for 117 pounds I may invest since yes I agree a bad barlow can ruin ya views lol I was going to go for a bst barlow or a x-cell xl barlow but didn't know what they were like, or maybe even the badder zoom one if I decide to get the badder zoom ep

4 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

The BST Barlow is made of the same glass as the explore`s i have been told they are very good that is my next purchase.

am still torn because since I have already x-cell xl ep I was going to stick with that brand but I am very tempted to purchase some Bst's from ebay

4 minutes ago, Dark Lawton said:

am still torn because since I have already x-cell xl ep I was going to stick with that brand but I am very tempted to purchase some Bst's from ebay

I did say the X-cels are good and the BST`s, as others have said Alan at Sky`s the limit (Skies-unlimited) is a cracking bloke, I collect water in the yard for my fishtank and once dropped my 18mm in I rang Alan he said post it to me and I will clean it and send it back he did and said give some money to charity. Customer service is fantastic.

Archived