Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just a bit of fun!

Patience. A lot of astro photography does not come easy, so it pays to have a relaxed attitude to outcomes. Get used to spending more time looking at weather forecasts than taking pictures, but at least it gives you time to research away.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd echo all the sound advice given on the previous posts, start off simple, a DSLR on a tripod can get some pleasing results and some early encouraging images really help early on. Do read all the pinned help and advice posts on this forum and if you get into it I too would advise you read 'Making Every Photon Count'  before parting with serious money.

When it comes to spending money (and it soon does if you get hooked on Deep Sky imaging) my own view is to invest in a decent mount over and above any other item of equipment, you will not get very far with an expensive scope and camera if it's riding on a wobbly, poorly tracking mount.

Just use your great camera and learn, keep your money in your pocket until you understand why you want to buy something.

The immediate trip is don't use the shutter button unless you have the camera on timer, you will otherwise have shake. A remote release therefore is a good extra and shouldn't cost any more than £15 from the likes of Amazon.

It's easier to start with your widest lens, it's more forgiving.

Digital imaging is free once you have the camera so try... And see what happens.

Don't wait until it is dark to learn how to use your camera.

Thanks again everyone for the tips, 

Number 1 thing to do is buy 'Making Every Photon Count'.

From various other threads I've decided I want the pretty standard 'serious beginners' set-up; consisting of SW ED80 on a HEQ5 mount. (But i'm in no rush to buy this, as I know there's a lot to learn)

Danny

Archived