Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Take that pesky Moon! ( first Ha image with DSLR )

simmo39

After a bit procrastinating I finally plucked up the courage to try my Ha filter on my cannon 600D. The processing was more guessing than science but the output pleased me especially after seeing the subs ( Didnt know that they would be orange! ) Anyway here is 12 x 6min subs at 800 of the tulip ( Yep found it again! ) V noisy but my own fault as didnt connect my cooler. If nothing else i got an image when the moon thought it had won!

Pointers about processing most welcome.

tulip_filtered_zpsdw6rlfu6.jpg

Sorry Simmo, I couldn't help myself! :blob8:

I think I'll have to get a Ha filter myself, I didn't realise you could get good results with a DSLR. Which make, typ of filter did you use? Is the Canon modded?

imageproxy1.jpg

By the way, used PS, a little curves and levels, some luminence sharpening and some noise reduction.

6 minutes ago, StargeezerTim said:

Sorry Simmo, I couldn't help myself! :blob8:

I think I'll have to get a Ha filter myself, I didn't realise you could get good results with a DSLR. Which make, typ of filter did you use? Is the Canon modded?

imageproxy1.jpg

By the way, used PS, a little curves and levels, some luminence sharpening and some noise reduction.

Hi Tim. Yep its a modded canon as for the filter is a Astronomik Ha clip filter. I just took the plunge as I was feed up of clear nights when the moon was full. like what you did to the image. At the moment I only seem to make it worse! lol

15 hours ago, simmo39 said:

Oh wow! Thats a lot better, how did you do that?

Quite easy but I imagine my technique is quite severe and removes alot of information from the image...something I forgot to do while playing around was select transparency levels .

Opened your image in GIMP

1 Duplicate layer

2 Set the top layer to either Screen/Multiply/Overlay/Grain merge or Dodge "Mode" (I just cycle through those modes to see which works best).

3 Then if I remember I should adjust the transparency of the top layer to reduce the effect if it removes too much info as in the 1st image.

4 Merge visible layers and save.

Top layer mode set to "Grain merge" and the top layer transparency set at 75% this time.

edit.jpg

7 hours ago, Bruce Leeroy said:

Quite easy but I imagine my technique is quite severe and removes alot of information from the image...something I forgot to do while playing around was select transparency levels .

Opened your image in GIMP

1 Duplicate layer

2 Set the top layer to either Screen/Multiply/Overlay/Grain merge or Dodge "Mode" (I just cycle through those modes to see which works best).

3 Then if I remember I should adjust the transparency of the top layer to reduce the effect if it removes too much info as in the 1st image.

4 Merge visible layers and save.

Top layer mode set to "Grain merge" and the top layer transparency set at 75% this time.

edit.jpg

What did you use to do that? was it PS , gimp or pixi? That has done the background a treat.

On 20/08/2016 at 16:48, toxic said:

nice capture Simmo 

i had a go as well just removed the stars and softened the background the added a high-pass filter to it then added the star back into it that's all.

Simmo-jpg.jpg

Chris,

How did you soften the background like that. I use Noiseware, which is pretty good, but you have really zapped the grain there!

Cheers, Tim. 

Archived