Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Perseids meteors

Early morning just before the Sun rises is a good time. My son was carrying out a runway check at Gatwick Airport at about 04:00 this morning and despite the numerous  lights creating some serious light pollution and the fact that he is not interested in astronomy, even he said that they were an amazing sight at that time!

You should see some @ 23:00. You will see more after midnight and towards dawn as Steve said above. Last year i was up around Germany/Denmark and i started observing at about 1:00am and went to bed at 4:am

In those 3 hrs i counted about 58. Not a great number but i was happy.

1 hour ago, kodos55557 said:

In 23:00 there is no chance to see meteors???

I saw some last night before 2300, but not many. I suspect the later you leave it for good dark sky, the better.

I'm staying up tonight whatever.

The reason why its best to observe meteors from midnight onwards is because of the Earth's rotation. Before midnight, the planet is not facing head-on into the radiant of the shower. Come midnight, the radiant (centre-point) of the shower is at its highest point in the sky (Zenith) and the planet is pointing directly towards the radiant. When i say midnight, i obviously mean midnight from your location,any location. 

Just now, kodos55557 said:

If i watch themeteira from nedium light pollution area i can  still see the meteors or just from very dark sky???

They are quite bright and a bit slower than many other meteors (IIRC). You will still see some from a medium LP'd location. If you can find a spot which isnt directly overlooked by street lights, you should be ok.

Okay so i was able to see 4 meteors,one of them with green Glowing trail and others that burn quickly,for the first time for me it was a big event  and i was so happy to catch them,i was to tired to stay until 04:00-05:00.

even with the medium light pollution i was able to see them,

thank's for the tips that you all give me,

12 minutes ago, kodos55557 said:

I wait an hour for the meteors but it was great,first time for me to watch them,can't wait for the next meteors shower.

clear sky for you all.

Next big one is in early December (4th-17th, and they peak on the night of the 13th-14th). The Geminid meteor shower. It can be great some yrs and not so good other years. Typically the meteors display a green colour because of the chemical composition of them. In the case of the Geminid's the main element is copper, so this is why they appear to be green when burning up in the atmosphere. 

Well worth a look if the clouds allow. The Geminid shower is my favourite shower.

7 minutes ago, kodos55557 said:

By the way,i want to buy a pair of binoculars and i got three option that seems great to me,

What is your recommendations???

71UM3XxHYfL__SL1500_.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l400.jpg

You should post this question on the "observing with binoculars" thread and maybe include a bit of information on each pair you are thinking of. You will get great advice there.

Here's the link to the binocular section of the site:

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/80-observing-with-binoculars/

:icon_biggrin:

Archived