NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Four planets at dusk (+the Moon)

kerrylewis

The last couple of evenings have had clear skies to the west at dusk. With the Canon bins I managed just to see Venus both times before it dipped below the roofs opposite. Jupiter wass a little higher as it continues its westward course, and then still Mars and Saturn further east. I tried both times unsuccessfully to see Mercury which Starry Night was showing about half way between Jupiter and Venus. But it was also shown as slightly lower than Venus so I think it may have been just below the roofs. Shame  - I could have gone for the full set! The moon was bright between the two sets of planets. 

Later with darker skies, and after moonset, the Dob came into its own for a tour of Cygnus. I found that Sunday night was more transparent than last night and the Veil looked wonderful with the OIII filter. I also caught parts of the North America Nebula along its edges.

I don't have the horizon for seeing Venus/ mercury/ Jupiter but Mars and Saturn have been a fine sight.

You also donthave to stay up late to see Neptune either, and even Uranus is there later still.

Is it possible to do a one night planet marathon?!

1 hour ago, Paz said:

I don't have the horizon for seeing Venus/ mercury/ Jupiter but Mars and Saturn have been a fine sight.

You also donthave to stay up late to see Neptune either, and even Uranus is there later still.

Is it possible to do a one night planet marathon?!

I've done it 2 or 3 times in the past, but on this occasion I think Mercury is going to be elusive. It is low compared to Venus and Jupiter and below the ecliptic, as well as being fainter. It will need a clear western horizon, which I haven't got. 

I tried again last night but there was a cloud bank in the wrong place at the appropriate time. Saturn was a fine sight though through the 150 refractor. Wobbly at times but then very sharp with the Cassini division clear. Mars is now too low from my usual observing position  - but I could try trimming my shrubs I suppose! 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally saw Venus tonight around 5 degrees above the horizon from a darkish site near Biggleswade. A few clouds obscuring the view at times,  but good to see it again! Saturn, Mars, Antares and co looked amazing again.

A terrific few hours viewing watching the planets and a superb bonus meteor complete with smoke trail. 

Archived