NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Back in Black!

Well hi there Everyone!

I've been on a bit of an extended astronomical hiatus - the weather was terrible, then work took over, then it was summer and it wasn't getting dark. I did get a few sessions in to observe Mars at opposition, wobbling away near the horizon (Mars, not me)...

But August is now ticking over nicely and, once again, I look fondly at my huge white novelty living room ornament and wonder how many light years from home it's going to take me next...

Having had the same 'scope for 2.5 years, I'm now looking for an upgrade. I considered a side-grade to a Heritage 130P to take with me on holiday when the car is too full of other rubbish, but I felt this would be a bit pointless, especially when I remember seeing things like this! If anyone happens to know if the base-plate on the 10'' is the same size as the 6'' it would inform my decision!

But mostly I'm itching to get my current 'scope out and point at things, which is the aim of the game after all - dying to try and get out somewhere dark and take a look at the North America Nebula, the Dumbbell, the Ring and maybe even a few goodies in Sagittarius... Just a shame that once again the clouds are filling the sky!

Paul

Get out there.  Southern treasures are on offer at the moment for a limited time only; on Sunday night I saw the Triffid and Lagoon Nebs for the first time along with the Swan and Eagle Nebs, the Sagitarius star cloud, the Wild Duck Cluster, Gllob M22 and a host of open clusters, all in one little area of sky!

• 1 month later...

Those round bases are killer! You need to replace them. Orion optics dob bases are smaller, but costly. Explore scientific do a compact 12". Good to see you are looking to improve your view.... Drop me a line, would be good to go huntin faint stuff together sometime!

cheers

peterW

Archived