Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Probably not UFOs but...

I was out observing on Friday 30th July, late night/early Saturday morning in north Wales. I saw 2 unusual points of light, they moved across the sky from north to south, they were moving at exactly the same speed and were a set distance apart. I've seen plenty of satellites and they show up gold/yellow but these were blue/white. They were to far apart to be military aircraft in formation and they certainly weren't civil aircraft. They weren't meteorites either because they were visible for a long time never deviating in speed, brightness or distance from each other. I was wondering if anyone else saw them or if anyone has any possible explanations.

chances are thay where satelites, ive seen them in many different colours depending on where thay are in the sky, and can seam to be and are in formation, but it would be cool if thay where Aliens  :icon_biggrin:.well done for seeing them. charl.

Never forget that there is a mind-boggling amount of satellites up there, both functional and dead, as well as a good deal of spent rocket parts of all imaginable sizes and types, with all kinds of rotational movement (which might make them "blink") etc. Then add that many satellites share orbit for practical or physical reasons. No surprise that many people look upwards and start seeing fleets of alien battleships :happy7:

If I recall correctly the US NOSS satellites are tethered pairs so orbit together. Not 100% sure they are still active.

More confusion is caused by the Chinese NOSS satellites that are tethered triples. A "pair" many presume toi be a chance coincidence, whereas a "triple" tend to get called UFO's first, then a satellite group second or later.

As mentioned there are a much varied assortent of satellites up there. If you get an unusual one (I did once) it can be an exercise trying to identify it or them.

Intellisat satellites often travel in pairs and more. I was just looking at charts of them - 6 together - that were traveling SW to NE. I found them on Previsat, which is an excellent (Free) satellite-tracking program. You can get a copy here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/previsat/

It's out of SourceForge, same outfit that supplies Stellarium, and many other excellent free astro-ware programs.

Enjoy -

Dave

Archived