NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ultraportable Solar Scope

I'm really wanting to have something that I can carry quickly and setup in a few minutes for solar viewing. Initially white light with Baader film and continuum filter, but eventually a Herschel Wedge and perhaps even a Quark or similar down the line. Mainly will be vis but perhaps the odd bit of imaging with the D3200.

It may end up dual purpose as a guide scope if ever I find myself doing serious imaging, but I've got to be honest and say that'll probably not be for a number of years unless someone invents an ultra portable serious imaging setup with not too many noughts at the end of the price.

Is the ST80 pushing it or is there something else in the same price region that ticks my boxes? 

I found a few mentions of it being used (Dave in Vermont I think) but would like to hear your thoughts.

Because of the longer FL. I am correct thinking that one doesn't have to worry about all of the nasties that come with lower cost fracs due to most of the spectrum being filtered out I could even pop for one of the lads that crop up on astroboot occasionally at that aperture/FL? As long as I stay away from plastic parts of course.

I've used an orion branded st80 with both the film and a later on a wedge... perfectly capable littLe scope for quick GnG work, both day and night..

Not too troublesome to mount on a photo tripod either for super portability! 

Archived