Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astro cigarette cards from yesteryear

Tim

My boss's friend just gave her a collection of cigarette cards from the 50's that are astronomy based. They were her grandfathers, and she never met him.

Have a peek :)

20160721_171753.jpg

20160721_171832.jpg

20160721_171744.jpg

They look great in the album :icon_biggrin:

I think we have a loose set of those somewhere. I seem to recall that they did not know that galaxies were actually external to ours - I think they are described as some form of nebulae.

Mars is criss crossed with canals I see - Mark at Beafort would be quite at home there !

11 hours ago, John said:

They look great in the album :icon_biggrin:

I think we have a loose set of those somewhere. I seem to recall that they did not know that galaxies were actually external to ours - I think they are described as some form of nebulae.

Mars is criss crossed with canals I see - Mark at Beafort would be quite at home there !

I think Edwin Hubble proved galaxies were external in the early 20s but it would still have been cutting edge stuff in 1928.

That is great gift Tazor. Much better framed!!! Just a shame when you think someone has probably took years off their life collecting them :( Are cigarette cards not highly collectable due to the fact tobacco sellers are no longer allowed to promote smoking ???

What an amazing collection and what stunning illustrations. Really evokes the feeling of the time; a great mystery about space and amusing to see the artist's impression of Mars. Love to see some scanned copies of these.

Archived