Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best cheap Light Pollution Filter

Solomark Moon&Skyglow filter...I bought it to use on my mak's as they are well contrasted on the moon but was attempting to get more detail visually when full without killing too much light...It is a neodymium filter advertised for helping with sodium and manmade light and moon bright. Helped with the moon visually but it's pitch black where I live so unable to test on light pollution but the reviews were good. Cost me 11 dollars US, others will chime in I'm sure but the filter I suggested will be the cheapest...the LED lighting will be much brighter about 300% and in certain wavlength's even brighter...imaging in that will be a challenge...

On the plus side LED lights tend to have much better shades and can be dimmed.

All the light get turned off at night where I live anyway, energy saving is great :D

Hi. Although you can pay a lot more, this removes the sodium orange perfectly for under a tenner: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-inch-50-8-mm-Moon-Filter-Standard-2-inch-Filter-Thread-for-Telescope-Eyepiece-/131640725216?hash=item1ea6660ee0:g:ndMAAOSwxp9W3hT4

It doesn't give the snaps a colour cast either.

@Aaron I think this is the same filter you mention(?)

Hi. He does a range of filters. You have to be clear what you want. It's best to confirm the order with a screenshot of the filter itself. Showing what it says on the side is best. Also ask for Sinotrans shipping otherwise they take weeks to arrive. HTH.

Here's a comparison; these photos were taken with different scope/lenses and cameras (10D versus 450D) but they were taken in roughly the same part of the sky at the same time of year. Don't look at the noise levels, just look at the LP difference.

Conclusion - LP filters well worth it :-)

Pelican LUM 1.jpg

Pelican LUM 2.jpg

On August 5, 2016 at 04:16, Stub Mandrel said:

Here's a comparison; these photos were taken with different scope/lenses and cameras (10D versus 450D) but they were taken in roughly the same part of the sky at the same time of year. Don't look at the noise levels, just look at the LP difference.

Conclusion - LP filters well worth it :-)

Pelican LUM 1.jpg

Pelican LUM 2.jpg

What a great difference! What filter did you use, and how long is the integration time? Did you have issues with color because the filter distorts color?

Archived