Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

150 mm Newtonian on an AZ4 Mount. Further advice please.

55 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Well the 150p has arrived within 48hours from FLO and sitting waiting for it to get dark and a trial run.

Out of colimnation a little but will see how it goes, and its clear.....looks said that out loud, sorry.

Martin at FLO responded to several queries from me on Duncan and helped me decide.

One minor point is moot quite able to get to zenith by legs so may need riser as suggested by some of you, see how it goes and if not next payday riser required.

Nice looking scope, how things have changed in recent years for the better.

Again thank you all.

Get ready for the alignment questions and what's that I have looked at ones too.

Just move the OTA up in the rings to avoid the legs if your looking at zenith and back again when your not. All common practice when balancing scopes anyway so nothing out of the norm to slide a scope through the rings just be aware of how loose the rings are when doing so.

Best collimation guide on the www. http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro babys collimation guide.htm

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Alan, 

Sorry for hijacking one of your old posts. But I'm actually considering a skywatcher explorer 150p on an AZ4 mount. I noticed that you purchased one last year.

I wonder if you could let me know how you've found using it? I'm new to the hobby so I'm looking for something that is fairly easy to use and move around. I currently live in a flat, but I can view from a family members garden, and I would like to take the setup to some darker skies. So I'd like something fairly portable. The other combination I'm looking at is a skymax 127 mak on a goto mount. 

Cheers,

Davy

21 hours ago, davyludo said:

Hi Alan, 

Sorry for hijacking one of your old posts. But I'm actually considering a skywatcher explorer 150p on an AZ4 mount. I noticed that you purchased one last year.

I wonder if you could let me know how you've found using it? I'm new to the hobby so I'm looking for something that is fairly easy to use and move around. I currently live in a flat, but I can view from a family members garden, and I would like to take the setup to some darker skies. So I'd like something fairly portable. The other combination I'm looking at is a skymax 127 mak on a goto mount. 

Cheers,

Davy

19 hours ago, andy435 said:

+1

I'm also looking at the same setup. I would also like to hear about your experience.

Hi Chaps, no problem bringing up an old thread.

First things first, the scope and mount combination was bought last year, but sold again late last year.
The reason being I prefer refractors and this was a trial reflector for me.

The set up worked, but you needed the riser column to allow the scope to miss the mount near zenith.
The scope was very easy to set up and use, the views were very good and it was easy to move from house to garden.
The AZ4 mount was and is good, but its more lug and go with the riser column fitted.
I struggled to use the scope with my DSLR, but a 150 PDS which is designed for photography would have solved that challenge.

All said really liked the views and ease of use, but having had refractors before, just could not quite come to love it.
Would I reccomend it, yes I would, nice size of scope at 150mm.

I can also see the appeal of a 127 Mak, but the focal length will be greater so not a like for like view.

My present scope is a ED100 DS Pro, the view is wonderful and the focal length a little longer, the smaller aperture has not hindered me in any way.
The view in an ED refractor in my opinion is 'better' than the reflector, but that may be a comfortable slippers kind of better, hope you understand what I am saying.

Any questions, please ask. 

5 minutes ago, Alan White said:

First things first, the scope and mount combination was bought last year, but sold again late last year.

The set up worked, but you needed the riser column to allow the scope to miss the mount near zenith.
The scope was very easy to set up and use, the views were very good and it was easy to move from house to garden.
The AZ4 mount was and is good, but its more lug and go with the riser column fitted.
I struggled to use the scope with my DSLR, but a 150 PDS which is designed for photography would have solved that challenge.

All said really liked the views and ease of use, but having had refractors before, just could not quite come to love it.

I can also see the appeal of a 127 Mak, but the focal length will be greater so not a like for like view.

My present scope is a ED100 DS Pro, the view is wonderful and the focal length a little longer, the smaller aperture has not hindered me in any way.
The view in an ED refractor in my opinion is 'better' than the reflector, but that may be a comfortable slippers kind of better, hope you understand what I am saying.

Hi Alan, thanks for your response. 

That's really helpful information. I had wondered about viewing near zenith, but have also read about some people just sliding the OTA through the tube rings. I suppose looking directly up is awkward anyway....unless you have a dob. I'm sure I could get used to it. Personally I'm not really looking at photography (I'm sure the time will come) so it's just the normal 150P version I'm looking at. 

I think I'm in a similar position, just with different scopes. I have a little experience with reflectors, so I'm reluctant to spend £400 on a MAK setup to then realise that I don't like it. Which is why I keep getting drawn back to the reflector....I'm just being indecisive :tongue2: I'm just not sure I want the MAK as my primary scope - feel that the reflector would be more versatile and suit me a bit better. 

If I was rich I would get both, but currently saving to buy a flat and recently got engaged....so two scopes are out of the question! 

I've never used a refractor, but it seems like the ED100 is a popular, quality scope. Maybe just slightly out of my price range just now. I'll save that for when I get those comfortable slippers :wink:

Thanks again for you time and response. 

Davy

17 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Thanks for sharing mate.

Me, I'm currently looking at the 130PDS or 150PDS on AZ4. PDS version is future proof incase of imaging.

Too bad the AZ4 is missing slow motion control. Did you miss skow motion control on the AZ4?

Just now, andy435 said:

Thanks for sharing mate.

Me, I'm currently looking at the 130PDS or 150PDS on AZ4. PDS version is future proof incase of imaging.

Too bad the AZ4 is missing slow motion control. Did you miss skow motion control on the AZ4?

Would be good if there was some more information about the Skywatcher AZ5. I had a google today but didn't really find anything :-( 

In answer to the AZ4, its a nice solid mount.
Did not have slow motions and for most of my use is really nice with nudge and go, but.

I have just bought an equatorial mount from Vixen a GP2 which has been copies by the chineese makers as an EQ5.
Reason for the change was the slow motion and tracking, which I missed a bit.
However I will keep the AZ4 and perhaps upgrade that some time as I like the freedom of the ALT-AZ a lot also.

One thing you will find is in astronomy as with other hobbies, one size does not fit all!  However bide your time on multiple mounts etc.
Your Engagement and Flat saving are far more important and need take priority for now, the sky will wait for you.

Alan

3 minutes ago, Alan White said:

In answer to the AZ4, its a nice solid mount.
Did not have slow motions and for most of my use is really nice with nudge and go, but.

I have just bought an equatorial mount from Vixen a GP2 which has been copies by the chineese makers as an EQ5.
Reason for the change was the slow motion and tracking, which I missed a bit.
However I will keep the AZ4 and perhaps upgrade that some time as I like the freedom of the ALT-AZ a lot also.

One thing you will find is in astronomy as with other hobbies, one size does not fit all!  However bide your time on multiple mounts etc.
Your Engagement and Flat saving are far more important and need take priority for now, the sky will wait for you.

Alan

To be honest, I think I'll end up with an AZ4 in my collection regardless of whether I end up with the 150p or the 127 mak. I also like the freedom of an alt/az so I can see it getting a lot of use.

That's a very good point you make - the stars and planets will always be there for us to enjoy. Just sometimes...my patience isn't quite as limitless as the sky :tongue2:

Many thanks,

Davy

7 hours ago, rockystar said:

The Vixen Porta II is an Alt-Az alternative with slow-mo controls, but it has gone up in quite price quite a bit recently,  so it's put me off a little bit.

Porta II is very nice but I'm not sure it can handle the payload of a 150 newtonian. It's bundled with a 130 newtonian from Vixen so a 130 should be ok.

Anyway, 150 newtonian on alt az mount is a compremise between portability and stability.

1 hour ago, andy435 said:

Porta II is very nice but I'm not sure it can handle the payload of a 150 newtonian. It's bundled with a 130 newtonian from Vixen so a 130 should be ok.

Anyway, 150 newtonian on alt az mount is a compremise between portability and stability.

Apparently the porta II can take 6.8kg load (according to FLO website). I'm sure I read the AZ4 is around 6kg load? I guess it depends how generous they're being with their figures. 

Unfortunately the porta II is out of my price range for just now anyway.

2 minutes ago, davyludo said:

Apparently the porta II can take 6.8kg load (according to FLO website). I'm sure I read the AZ4 is around 6kg load? I guess it depends how generous they're being with their figures. 

Unfortunately the porta II is out of my price range for just now anyway.

True.

I don't know if the figures can be completely trusted. The GSO ATZ is rated to 8kg. Length of the telescope is also important. If the mount can handle a 6kg SCT it not certain it can handle a 6kg newtonian.

Archived