Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

150 mm Newtonian on an AZ4 Mount. Further advice please.

Having now decided to mount on an AZ4 with Steel Legs (bought off here in classifieds); which I like a lot (having tried with my Bresser Quasar 80mm).

I am decided the mount is a keeper for the visual observing that I aim to do, but damn those clouds!!

I am fairly sold on a 150mm Reflector and probably the Skywatcher 150p (but like the Bresser 15o also), however I have some questions that I hope some of you can help with:

1. Would a 1200 FL tube clear the legs at or near Zenith, or if not how could I resolve this?

2. I know a shorter tube will clear, the Bresser did but 150p or 150pds as its for visual only?

3. Have I missed something about the 150 and an AZ4 mount that will be an epic fail?

4. I still moon watch and planet gaze, but will want to look for DSO also, so which FL?

Your input and examples of your own set ups will be as always much appreciated, thank you Alan

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I think the longer tube of the 150PL will probably cause problems for the AZ-4 mount. Not just the tube coming into contact with the legs but also the length of the tube creating vibrations that the shorter tube 150P does not.

Longer tubed scopes put more forces onto mount heads and the tripod top than shorter ones so even if the weight is more or less the same, a mount that copes OK with an F/5 6" scope (as the AZ-4 does) will struggle with an F/8 6".

You'd need a pier-extension; and a mod I'd say, perhaps with thick-walled PVC pipe filled to add weight, or a metal pipe.  The work would require careful study, certain tools and precision.  My old Astro-Tech Voyager I has one, and I'm able to point my 6" f/5 straight up...

6 f5b2.jpg

I would agree with John and Alan: It would need quite a bit of modification. But I'll also say the stability of your view in the eyepiece (any eyepiece) will be badly compromised by vibrations - even using anti-vibration pads on it's legs. Or simply put - it's the wrong tool for the job.

Over here in the US, the AZ-4 is sold under the brand-name Orion - different from the Orion over there. And it's called a VersaGo II. I have one and have a very good idea of what it can or can't handle well. I agree these are very nice - and inexpensive - altaz-mounts. But I really don't think they'll handle an 150mm - F/8 Newt.

Happy hunting!

Dave

I felt my 150PDS worked well on the AZ4. You could fit the longer f/8 with extension tube but trying to get the longer 150PL to work at high magnification is going to ruin your experience and so defeats the idea of having the longer focal length.

Sounds as you have it...I have done longer tubes at 150mm on a medium duty tripod and this really starts to get a little cumbersome, topheavy and wind sensitive...:happy7:...If you really want that ota and have a place to sink a post and a little crete this design will work well and is older than the hills. Just have to carry the tube outside,...

2016-07-15-20-38-11-364435600.jpeg

Again thank you for the input, but having read it all again I am confused.

Will a 150p short tube work well on the AZ4 or have I gone for the wrong mount or scope choice.

FLO and others sell this combination, so I assumed it was a workable option.
Does anyone on here use this combination and if yes, how does it work for you please?

Hi Alan . It looks like a short tube 150 on the AZ4 is correct. If FLO sells this combination then I am sure it will be fine. Give FLO a mail and see if they have had any feed back from customers with this combo, good , bad, indifferent, I am sure they will help. 

I hope this help ☺

16 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

Hi Alan . It looks like a short tube 150 on the AZ4 is correct. If FLO sells this combination then I am sure it will be fine. Give FLO a mail and see if they have had any feed back from customers with this combo, good , bad, indifferent, I am sure they will help. 

I hope this help ☺

Timebandit, great idea, I have just e-mailed them.
And yes they do sell the combination, checked it was not active imagination, its on the FLO website.

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

Again thank you for the input, but having read it all again I am confused.

Will a 150p short tube work well on the AZ4 or have I gone for the wrong mount or scope choice.

FLO and others sell this combination, so I assumed it was a workable option.
Does anyone on here use this combination and if yes, how does it work for you please?

Yes f/5 150P not the longer f/8 150PL

I'm not sure what you mean ? You don't want to image do you ??

At f/5 it will show coma and it will be more demanding on cheaper eyepieces than the f/8. But scopes of f/5 are perfectly fine for visual use. OK edge performance lacks a little but it's not something that is a deal breaker for most astronomers. Those who do find coma distracting usually buy coma correctors or longer focal length scopes. For you to use a longer focal length scope you'd have to look at buying either a C5XLT or MAK as they have far shorter OTA which would be more manageable on the AZ4.

10 hours ago, spaceboy said:

I'm not sure what you mean ? You don't want to image do you ??

At f/5 it will show coma and it will be more demanding on cheaper eyepieces than the f/8. But scopes of f/5 are perfectly fine for visual use. OK edge performance lacks a little but it's not something that is a deal breaker for most astronomers. Those who do find coma distracting usually buy coma correctors or longer focal length scopes. For you to use a longer focal length scope you'd have to look at buying either a C5XLT or MAK as they have far shorter OTA which would be more manageable on the AZ4.

Thanks, sorry badly written question on my part.

I am concerned about coma and wanted to know if the was worse than the plain old p.

I am coming from a 80mm refractor so CA is something I am used to.

I wanted more aperture but my EP set is small and low mid range so concerned they will let me down.

The other choices are a refractor but 100 or a Man, liked the 150mm size of the newt on price.

More to think about.

I've been using my 150mm f/5 for a time, and with my low-to-moderate-powered oculars, listed within my signature, being nothing to write home about.  In other words, you don't need expensive Tele Vue oculars with a 150mm f/5, or any other highly-corrective brand. 

A little coma is not the monster you're thinking it is; with an f/4, rather, it is.

I've found that a 150mm f/5 Newtonian is the closest to being an all-around instrument, for observing the gamut, with magnifications ranging from a low 20x, to 200x and beyond with the aid of 2x and 3x barlows.

A 150mm f/5 Newtonian is also an excellent and economical simulation of a 130mm f/6 apochromatic refractor... http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1638_LZOS-APM-APO-130-780mm---3-5-Inch-Feather-Touch-Focuser.html

The "P" has a one-speed 2" focusser; the "P-DS" has a two-speed, and for finer focussing.  The P-DS variant is also configured for imaging.  If imaging doesn't interest you, then go with the "P".

I have contacted Martin at FLO and to say he has been helpful is an understatement.

I will be getting a 150p to mount on AZ4 and a Cheshire.

Thank you all for you help, I will let you know how it goes, sorry the cloud will now remain for July.

Hello Alan, well done. That will be a nice set up,  a good size and scope a 150 size aperture and will be useful on planets as well as DSO. And on a AZ4 mount, very easy and solid mount to use ( I have AZ4 , and very pleased with it). So great set up overall?

A little bit of advice if you care for it. Dark site. I am not sure where you live ,but if light pollution is and issue , even though you can reasonably get good results in light polluted areas (unless it is seriously bad) . A dark site will really really help out with your observing, giving you the maximum contrast between the points of light and the darkness of the background , a dark sight will make the most of your scope 

And when you are ready to expand your eyepiece collection with your newly acquired scope then give us a post, and the members will give you some good advice, we love spending people's money and debating eyepieces on SGL, but in a good way to which will save you money in the long term with possible making mistakes with EP selection, and then possibly having to buy twice.

All the best☺    

Sorry Alan I get what you meant now. You were referring to the 150P and 150PDS. Both are exactly the same optics but one is a single speed Crayford and the other is a dual speed Crayford which is said to have a slightly shorter OTA to achieve focus with cameras but I'm sceptical about that.

Congrats on your new set up and I am sure you will be more than happy with it. As with any scope they get better with darker skies and the 150P / AZ4 combo is excellent grab and go for heading out to the wilderness.

Well the 150p has arrived within 48hours from FLO and sitting waiting for it to get dark and a trial run.

Out of colimnation a little but will see how it goes, and its clear.....looks said that out loud, sorry.

Martin at FLO responded to several queries from me on Duncan and helped me decide.

One minor point is moot quite able to get to zenith by legs so may need riser as suggested by some of you, see how it goes and if not next payday riser required.

Nice looking scope, how things have changed in recent years for the better.

Again thank you all.

Get ready for the alignment questions and what's that I have looked at ones too.

Hello Alan, and congratulations on your new scope arriving. I bet you are pleased as punch. I am glad FLO could help out on matters also. Hopefully we all pointed you in the right direction, which really does help when you are a newbie as the choice can be mind boggling at times. Clear skys to you and hope you enjoy your new present.

Archived