Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First time attempt to find some of the Ms

Cate

Having played around for a while with the planets, the moon and other easy objects like Alpha Centauri I decided it was high time I tried my hand at some more challenging objects (for me).

First of all I went out into the back garden and found the fantastic sight of a crescent moon with Regulus, Mars and Saturn all following in a perfect line at equal distances behind. The colour differences of all three made it such a special sight.

So my first attempt was the Jewel Box in Crux which was very good, if not a little bit of a strain for my neck! But the colours were very good.

Secondly I saw a fuzzy patch beneath the False Cross so had a look. It was a lovely open cluster, with a great pattern to it. I didn't have a clue what it was at the time but later found out it was NGC2516. Well worth a look.

Then I spun around onto Scorpius and found M7 under the tail (southern hemisphere). Again a lovely open cluster and very interesting to look at.

My last attempt was M23 which I found harder to find but got there in the end. It was less interesting than the other 2 I thought, but still good when I got it.

I thought I'd treat myself to Jupiter again as a parting shot. Unfortunately it was a bad night for the planets, even though it was quite high I still got a lot of 'boiling' and couldn't see the transit of Io that was occurring at that time.

In all I was extremely pleased with myself (!) as it was the first attempt and I have only just got a good hang of the equatorial mount. I'm still learning, but I managed to star hop remarkably well and this has spurred me on for more nights in sub zero conditions.

Oh I was exaggerating :oops: , it's not so cold to moan about it (between -2 and 5). I can keep my body warm its just that my fingers get so cold they are numb and clumsy with the scope.

Hi Cate, you have some splendid objects at your disposal down there., some real jewels of the Southern Skies. I would dearly love to eyeball the Omega Centauri Globular with a large Newtonian.

As it is, I can only enjoy tthe reports and Images posted on SGL by either Members who reside in The Antipodes, or guys who visit on holiday, but invariably the ones on holiday are only basically equipped. I am hoping you post your reports regularly to keep us fed so to speak. :)

Cheers.

Ron. :lol:

Thanks for your comments, it's nice to know it's still interesting even though pretty basic for you guys.

I went to the local astronomical society meeting yesterday and managed to see Eta Karina (sorry I have no idea how to spell that) which was absolutely fabulous. The nebula was so clear and had a great question mark shape to it. I won't be able to find that at home as it is too bright, but a real treasure for out of town viewing.

Good report Cate. M7 is a lovely Globular Cluster. Try for M6 next, very close to M7, just a little up (or is it down for you in the Southern Hemisphere?) from M7. Omega Centauri is also good, but as it is so big an object you will need a low power eyepiece (one with a big focal length).

Tom

Archived