SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tracking Mount for Mak 150/180

I would like to move up from my AZ4 mount to a gem. Looking for an uncomplicated tracking mount only. As I only observe I do not need go to. I use Turn left at Orion for all my go to needs.

Mount needs to be tracking only for my Mak 150 but future proof for a Mak 180. Do I need a two motor system or will RA suffice.

Any recommendations greatfully received with respect to manufacturer and type of mount.

The bare minimum would be an EQ5:- EQ5 Quite inexpensive at £245 + £69 for RA drive or £85 for dual axis.

The better mounts don't come without goto these days. The HEQ5 is very good and won't need an upgrade unless you go really large HEQ5

Whilst the HEQ5 will certainly be up to the job, I would consider looking for a Vixen GP DX and stick it on a Berlebach tripod- it just looks nicer (better made too). If your polar alignment is good, RA tracking should indeed suffice.

Hi Garry:

I use one of these on an EQ5 for visual and it copes easily - it wobbles a bit when focusing over x200, but not enough to cause any difficulties at all. Webcam planetary imaging is a bit harder as the higher mag makes it very wobbly when focusing. A Skymax 180 would be okay on that mount (it copes with my 8" f6 Newt at ~10kg) but if you have the spare funds an HEQ5 would be even better.

If you are not guiding (and you won't be with that Mak on an EQ5!) then a declination drive is, in my view, a waste of time. Control is easier and faster with the slow motion manual contol.

Billy.

I second Billy, 

I use a Skymax 150 on an EQ5 (Pro) and it handles it well. It does wobble a bit when focusing at high power and there is a bit of backlash but these are not big problems. I'm still getting used to it but I can focus the scope and use the slow (2x/3x) rates to get the target dead set in the sensor. The 180 is heavier (and longer FL) and may need a beefier mount (HEQ5) for best performance.

Dan.

Archived