NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wedge for NexStar SE 6/8

Hi,

I considering buying the Celestron Nexstar 8SE. I want to do long exposure photography and I read that I will need a wedge. I considering buying the this wedge http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/astroimaging-accessories/wedges/wedge-for-nexstar-evolution-and-se-6-and-8

According to this article   http://sctscopes.net/Photo_Basics/Accessories/Wedges/wedges.html    they mention to buy a Deluxe Latitude Adjuster .

I would like to know if I need it with the wedge mention above? If yes, any suggestion?

Thanks

The wedge you included the link to already has a better than average lat adjuster.

They are usually  just a long threaded bolt that presses against the back of the tilting plate.

This one looks as though it has a more precise mechanism.

Michael

10 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

The wedge you included the link to already has a better than average lat adjuster.

They are usually  just a long threaded bolt that presses against the back of the tilting plate.

This one looks as though it has a more precise mechanism.

Michael

Thank for your answer Michael. I'm new and I just want to make sure that I order the right thing.

Cheers

I have this wedge - it's heavy and rock solid - supports my 925 very nicely and will handle a 6 or 8 SE with ease. My only reservation is doing AP with a single fork arm - it's a courageous ambition (imho). :)

22 hours ago, Seb_ said:

Hi,

I considering buying the Celestron Nexstar 8SE. I want to do long exposure photography and I read that I will need a wedge. I considering buying the this wedge http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/astroimaging-accessories/wedges/wedge-for-nexstar-evolution-and-se-6-and-8

According to this article   http://sctscopes.net/Photo_Basics/Accessories/Wedges/wedges.html    they mention to buy a Deluxe Latitude Adjuster .

I would like to know if I need it with the wedge mention above? If yes, any suggestion?

Thanks

Your Lumix FZ 200 has limited long exposure capabilities and cannot be used for prime focus imaging so purchasing a wedge may be an expensive mistake.

15 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Your Lumix FZ 200 has limited long exposure capabilities and cannot be used for prime focus imaging so purchasing a wedge may be an expensive mistake.

Wow. Thanks for your advice. I guest I will start to learn all about basic Astronomy and enjoy it before I decided to go further with photography.

I really appreciate your answer.

Cheers

The main problem is that because your camera is a bridge camera and has a fixed lens, unlike a DSLR which has a removable lens, you are limited to taking photos through an eyepiece (this method is called afocal imaging) .  The next problem could be trying to find an ideal eyepiece to image with, taking DSO images afocally is not ideal and you may be disappointed with the results.

I think for the published price of that wedge (£295 on Rother Valley) I wouldn't bother. You would be far better off buying a GEM such as a second hand EQ6 and getting far more accurate tracking,more stability  and better rigidity in the legs. You will have more room for the CCD or Camera than on any Celestron mount head.  I know it is more costly but you can use other scopes with the EQ6 rather than be stuck with only one option in the future.

Sometimes biting the bullet pays in the long run.

Derek

Well, I think if it was me just starting out the first thing to decide is whether the SCT is the best 'scope for what you want to do. If you are seriously wanting to do astro-photography then perhaps you ought to be thinking of something with a shorter focal length/lower f-ratio. The long FL places serious demands on a basic mount such as the Nexstar when it comes to astro-photography.

If you already had the Nexstar Alt-Az mount, then I'd say forget the wedge, purchase a camera which has a removable lens so that you can do prime-focus photography, and try using the Alt-Az as it is, and stacking a lot of short exposure frames. It's the cheapest way in to astro-photography using a 'scope, and don't be fooled into thinking you can't do AP using an Alt-Az mount, you can and can get decent results! See this thread for inspiration: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/228101-the-no-eq-dso-challenge/  At least, it'll give you the opportunity to see if AP appeals, and you can hone your skills at the same time, whilst biding your time deciding just what you want to get out of your hobby. There is much to learn in this game!

Good luck.

Ian

5 hours ago, The Admiral said:

Well, I think if it was me just starting out the first thing to decide is whether the SCT is the best 'scope for what you want to do. If you are seriously wanting to do astro-photography then perhaps you ought to be thinking of something with a shorter focal length/lower f-ratio. The long FL places serious demands on a basic mount such as the Nexstar when it comes to astro-photography.

If you already had the Nexstar Alt-Az mount, then I'd say forget the wedge, purchase a camera which has a removable lens so that you can do prime-focus photography, and try using the Alt-Az as it is, and stacking a lot of short exposure frames. It's the cheapest way in to astro-photography using a 'scope, and don't be fooled into thinking you can't do AP using an Alt-Az mount, you can and can get decent results! See this thread for inspiration: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/228101-the-no-eq-dso-challenge/  At least, it'll give you the opportunity to see if AP appeals, and you can hone your skills at the same time, whilst biding your time deciding just what you want to get out of your hobby. There is much to learn in this game!

Good luck.

Ian

Wow, you just give me hope. I don't want to spend too much at the beginning. The problem with the Nexstar 8 had no Alt-Az mount whit it and according to people, in this post, the Celestron Wegde will be a waste of money. I really don't know what to do... So if I decide to buy the Sky-Watcher HEQ5 , the Nexstar will fit on it? And later, if I decide to upgrade my telescope, the HEQ5 will be always good enough?

Sorry, I'm not sure I quite follow what you are saying Seb. Are you saying that the Nexstar 8 didn't have a mount at all?

The Nexstar 'scope usually comes with an altazimuth mount. The purpose of the wedge is to convert the altazimuth mount into an equatorial mount. I think the point being made is that it wouldn't be worth buying a wedge and the Nexstar, but rather spend your money on a proper equatorial mount. The point I was making is that if you already had the Nexstar mount, then rather than spend money on a wedge, put it towards a better camera, and you can still get good results using the altazimuth mount.

Ian

14 minutes ago, The Admiral said:

Sorry, I'm not sure I quite follow what you are saying Seb. Are you saying that the Nexstar 8 didn't have a mount at all?

The Nexstar 'scope usually comes with an altazimuth mount. The purpose of the wedge is to convert the altazimuth mount into an equatorial mount. I think the point being made is that it wouldn't be worth buying a wedge and the Nexstar, but rather spend your money on a proper equatorial mount. The point I was making is that if you already had the Nexstar mount, then rather than spend money on a wedge, put it towards a better camera, and you can still get good results using the altazimuth mount.

Ian

I'm confuse to :) Everything is new for me. The nexstar 8 came with a mount  ( Single Fork Arm Altazimuth ) Here what I bought so far but I didn't received yet. http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/telescopes/nexstar-8se-computerized-telescope

So I guest that an Sky-Watcher HEQ5 is an equatorial mount and do no need a Wedge? And it's an way supperior that the celestron Single Fork Arm Altazimuth mount? And an part of my problem will be solve if I buy the HEQ5 ?

Right now you don't have a camera to make use of either mount.

An altaz mount like the fork mount moves in small left right up down movements. This keeps the object in view in the eye piece but the object is still rotating because the mount moves left right up down. So if the exposure is too long the object will be rotating in the captured image and therefore be smeared.

If you use a wedge it fakes the altaz mount to be equatorial but perhaps not as good as the real thing.

However you can use an altaz mount like the fork mount that comes with the 8SE to capture images around 30 - 45 seconds without smearing and lots of these images like 100 of them can be combined to make an astrophotograph. But not with the 8SE, the member doing this with that mount has a short refractor.

An EQ mount moves equatorial so accounts for the earth's rotation and in long exposure images the object stays correct and does not rotate and smear.

(Both mounts need to be motorised)

I think some more research before spending any money might be an idea. Things can be very expensive quickly if the wrong bits are bought for a hobby.

3 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Right now you don't have a camera to make use of either mount.

An altaz mount like the fork mount moves in small left right up down movements. This keeps the object in view in the eye piece but the object is still rotating because the mount moves left right up down. So if the exposure is too long the object will be rotating in the captured image and therefore be smeared.

If you use a wedge it fakes the altaz mount to be equatorial but perhaps not as good as the real thing.

However you can use an altaz mount like the fork mount that comes with the 8SE to capture images around 30 - 45 seconds without smearing and lots of these images like 100 of them can be combined to make an astrophotograph.

An EQ mount moves equatorial so accounts for the earth's rotation and in long exposure images the object stays correct and does not rotate and smear.

(Both mounts need to be motorised)

I think some more research before spending any money might be an idea. Things can be very expensive quickly if the wrong bits are bought for a hobby.

Thank you very much. Now I got it. :) Thanks for your patience, English is not my first language so when I write something it can be confusing.

I was not sure if 30Sec expose will be notice. I will start by learning how looking the sky before spend more money. Cheers

It is a great hobby :-) I hope I helped.

For me I can't carry a EQ outside so have stuck with a simpler mount, but it works for me.

Also if you see an image you like have a look at what equipment was used.

And no question is too small, ask away there are lots of members only to happy to reply.

Also the post to the non EQ challenge one member uses exactly the 8SE mount (no wedge) but with a small refractor and camera to image. The 8SE is a popular telescope and we'll give amazing views the Moon must surely feel like you could reach out and touch it.

2 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

It is a great hobby :-) I hope I helped.

For me I can't carry a EQ outside so have stuck with a simpler mount, but it works for me.

Also if you see an image you like have a look at what equipment was used.

And no question is too small, ask away there are lots of members only to happy to reply.

Lucky to me. I leave on 1 acre land outside the city with no light on my street. Yesterday I did some picture 30Sec exposure with my Lumix FZ-200 on a small tripod. I'm amaze by how much you can get only with this camera.

Cheers

Have you come across the following software.

Deep sky stacker - allows lots of images to be combined together. This creates an even more detailed image then what a single image can do.

Stellarium - brilliant planetarium software.

I don't know how to work it but the website astrobin you can look for images by equipment. 

You could try piggy backing your camera on the top of a telescope on a mortised mount to take images too.

An intravolometer, if your camera supports, it is a nice gadget to help take images as it removes the need to press the shutter bottom which adds shake.

29 minutes ago, Seb_ said:

Thank you very much. Now I got it. :) Thanks for your patience, English is not my first language so when I write something it can be confusing.

I was not sure if 30Sec expose will be notice. I will start by learning how looking the sky before spend more money. Cheers

A 30 second exposure at that focal length most likely will be noticed. Using an ordinary camera on a tripod 30 seconds is almost the maximum with a 200mm lens. Your scope is about 1500mm if I remember so photographically will smear. You either need a wedge (not my recommendation though many do use one) or buy a German equatorial mount (GEM). I would read up on past posts on this forum and try to take it all in, before you do any more. Imaging is not as easy as it may appear at first.

Derek

Whilst your Lumix can not do prime imaging you could use it on a tripod it is relatively fast at f2.8 and does raw so could see what you could push imaging to with just with the camera. The wider the lens is set at the longer the exposure before star trails show (which can be impacted as to where you point the camera in the sky). Have fun.

Archived