Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

This image was taken from Portugal last month, using a driven mount with a Canon 350D. The lens was a sigma zoom at 120mm, f4.5. The single exposure was 2.5 minutes. The star in the bottom right of the image is Shaula - the "sting" in the Scorpions tail.

It was a bit of a test, to see what came out.

Hope you like it

Tom

Thanks for reprocessing Sam. Mt photoshop skills are very limited. You have brought out the Milky way nicely.

Hi Martin, yes of course we could see this from Drymen, only thing is, you probably need to go about 5 miles up before you could see that far past the horizon. :) One of the advantages of Portugal is that it is 20 degrees closer to the Equator (as well as being Sunny during the day, clear and not humid at night.

Tom

WOW Doug, what a great image. Full of Majesty - gives a real sense of the Vastness of our own Galaxy. :cheers: :salute: :salute:

Thanks for that - if you have more, please post in "Widefield & Special Events".

Tom

Terrific picture,Tom,loads of interest to be found in there.

I've had a quick dabble,left the Wilky May more or less as is,just brightened the stars a bit. :)

Don't suppose Portugal exports sky by any chance?

Cheers

CW

Click as usual.

WOWOWEEE!!

Excellent images there.

You guys are lucky to get sky dark enough to capture data like that, from where I live a 2.5 min exposure with a wide angle lens would just result in a red smudge.

qcdoug, your image made it into my personal store, it has good stablemates, only the finest APOD end up there :)

TJ

Thank you all for the kind remarks. I did not mean to over shadow Tom's very nice M6 & M7. ... Great job.

My processing was basically done in PS6, with levels and curves. I may have used some of Noel Carboni's tool actions to enhance a little...I don't remember. By the way, this was taken with a Sigma 70-300mm DG APO lens. It's really not very expensive. But, the APO qualities show on the brighter stars. I am impressed with the lens and hope to do more with it when I can get to dark skies.

Cheers,

Doug

Ditching a few more images and thought I'd post this comparison between the Starry Night screen and your image,Tom,before they go for good.

You've probably done the same already but it's a cool image and worth a repeat anyway............ :shocked:

Cheers

CW

Click as usual.

Archived