NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn - 9th Feb 06

russ

Hi all,

Myself and Rob met up for a backgarden observing session last night. For 3 hours we froze, with only a brief Tea break to warm up. Flippin heck it was cold.

Seeing wasn't good, as already highlighted on James's Saturn thread. Visually we couldn't crack the 200x barrier with any of the scopes (we had 4 in action) and really 150x was the limit of a decent image. We had good fun comparing the 4 scopes though.

We finished off with an hour long imaging session, Saturn being the main target, although we gave the Moon a try too.

Only managed to look at one AVI so far. 1500 frames, 400 used for stacking. Taken through the Celestron C8 with Moonfish 2x barlow and Toucam Pro II. Approx 80% gain, 35% brightness, 0% gamma, 30% saturation, 1/25th sec. Corrector on the C8 was 25% dewed up.

image.jpg

Perhaps have another to post later

Russ

Thanks Martin.

I don't normally have the settings that high. But last night we could barely see Saturn on the screen. There was some high cloud by the time we started imaging, plus the corrector plate was partly dewed up. Perhaps that may explain it.

I'm happy though, it comes out quite well.

And here's another from last night

image.jpg

Russ

Hi James,

Here's a single frame from the AVI. Looks bleddy awful! :lol:

image.jpg

I think my biggest problem last night was the dew on the corrector and the fact i couldn't find the 8" dew strap. Had to use the 6" jobby. Could see the dew spread out across the corrector plate.

Russ

Hi Russ,

Thanks for that mate, you can see the Cassini division clearly enough and hints of surface details in that frame. Your settings look very much like my own it has to be said maybe the saturation is a little higher though.

Dew yeah the weather of late certainly creates it russ, a Dew zapper Zaps in 1min mate i use a hair dryer myself :(. Once the corrector plate is free from dew you can then lower ya gain levels :lol:

You got a good image Russ from that..

James :p

Nice pics considering the conditions you guys had last night.

The single RAW made me chuckle, my first Saturn a couple of weeks ago I only processed 'cos I had nothing better to do, All my frames looked like Russ' and I couldn't see how the hell they were going to make an image!!

Archived