Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunt 60mm, buy DS now or can I DS later?

stergio

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum, been reading for a while but never posted. All my life i've been fascinated with astronomy in general and recently decided to do something about it. I happen to visit a friend who has a solar scope it was a PST. And enjoyed it. Something about looking at our closest star is addictive.

After a bit of reading, I have decided to buy a solar scope. And have set my sights on the Lunt 60mm with 1200 blocking filter with crayford focuser & pressure tuner. I will start off with observing but will eventually venture into imaging. I like animations of proms.

There has been mention about double stacking, currently my budget does not allow to double stack but hope to do this in the future. Therefore couple of questions, so that I can future proof my purchase:

1) If I decide to double stack in future does this mean I have to purchase both a etalon that attaches to the front of the scope and well as buy a new/matching blocking filter(diagonal type thing)?

2) Am I better off saving up and buying the complete double stacked system?

3) Suggestions for eyepiece, please.

4) Suggestions for entry level Camera,please.

I've got a mount (free) also have manfroto tripod for observing.

Would appreciate some advice,

ps: I did ask the same question couple of hours ago on solar chat, however my post does not even appear on the forum! And I tried twice... 

I just noticed, my post on solar chat has just been posted.

Stergio,

1) If I decide to double stack in future does this mean I have to purchase both a etalon that attaches to the front of the scope and well as buy a new/matching blocking filter(diagonal type thing)?
You can buy the Etalon seperatleyh. No need for another blocking filter. The second Etalon is well worth having as it improves the views hugely. You can get them on the sencond hand market but if you go this route then please make sure that the etalon is certified for double-stacking (they are marked with a sticker and carry a "f" designation0 L50f for example.)

2) Am I better off saving up and buying the complete double stacked system?
The Etalon makes a massive difference, but it might be worth hanging on until you get used to using the scope first. master that and double stacking is easy.

3) Suggestions for eyepiece, please.
Can't advise, but any should do fine. Lots of people seem to like the Baader zooms with this scope.

4) Suggestions for entry level Camera,please.
Budget please? You will need something with small pixels- the new Chameleons or Blackflys will complement this scope perfectly.

Stergio welcome to the light side and congratulations on your purchase :happy7:

Lots of good advice above that I cannot really add to. As for eyepiece choice I had two favourites when I had my Lunt 60 and they were the Vixen 9mm SLV and the Leica Vario 7.4 - 22mm zoom, both gave absolutely stunning solar views.

Don't want to add any complications, but .....

I've noticed that the total price of the DS 60 mm isn't too far away from the price of the 80mm (I presume SS) unit.  Would folks go for a DS60 or a SS80?

Secondly, I've seen 50mm Etalons for sale for double stacking on the 60mm scopes (I'm not sure I've seen the 60mms sold separately, but I'm sure that I haven't been looking hard enough).  In any event, if you DS a 60mm with a 50mm filter, is that any better than a 50mm DS?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I am toying with this issue myself and I hope you think it helpful to consider all the options before pulling the trigger. 

Hi Steve, I have an LS60DS and it gives excellent images and visual views, never looked through an 80mm so can't comment, looked through a 100mm once and that was amazing.

The 60 front DS filter and the 80 DS internal filter are about the same price so upgrading either is the same.

I've seen a couple of front mounted 60mm filters for sale so they do come up.

I would get a 60 rather than 50 if you've got the money as the focuser is a bit iffy on the 50 and getting focus for imaging can be a problem, not that the 60 focuser is anything special but at least it's easy to swop for a better one, Moonlight / Feathertouch etc

I also had to buy a rotator for the front etalon from TS, 135 euros plus postage :eek:

Dave

1 hour ago, gnomus said:

In any event, if you DS a 60mm with a 50mm filter, is that any better than a 50mm DS?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I am toying with this issue myself and I hope you think it helpful to consider all the options before pulling the trigger. 

Not stupid at all.  I imagine putting a 50mm DS over a 60mm aperture would be counterproductive to purchasing the 60mm in the first place.   Doing this must ranked as the most expensive 10mm of unused aperture.  The LS50Tha must be the way forward here surely, unless like already stated, funds can extend to the 60mm DS unit or a SS 80mm.

14 minutes ago, Zakalwe said:

I I use a 50mm DS on my Lunt 60. The tightening of the bandwidth is more than worth the loss of aperture.

I paid £500 for the 50mm second hand (It was like new).....a new 60mm Etalon is about £1700.

True, but given I use my SolarMax almost exclusively in DS mode, I would perhaps then buy an LS50 first, and upgrade that to DS. Cheaper still, and same aperture available in DS

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 18:03, gnomus said:

Don't want to add any complications, but .....

I've noticed that the total price of the DS 60 mm isn't too far away from the price of the 80mm (I presume SS) unit.  Would folks go for a DS60 or a SS80?

Secondly, I've seen 50mm Etalons for sale for double stacking on the 60mm scopes (I'm not sure I've seen the 60mms sold separately, but I'm sure that I haven't been looking hard enough).  In any event, if you DS a 60mm with a 50mm filter, is that any better than a 50mm DS?ef

Gnomus.  Regarding buying a second 60mm etalon to DS the 60mm scope, Dave is quite correct in saying that they do come up second hand - but not very often.  When I decided to go DS, I looked for some time and nothing came up.  I then decided to put a wanted ad on this site and SolarChat.  After not too long I was offered one and very luckily the chap was a fellow member up at The Astronomy Centre and he bought it along so I could try it out on my 60mm scope before purchasing.  :icon_biggrin: (It's always best to try out any used solar equipment if possible before purchasing as there are variations in quality)

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 19:04, Davey-T said:

Hi Steve, I have an LS60DS and it gives excellent images and visual views, never looked through an 80mm so can't comment, looked through a 100mm once and that was amazing.

The 60 front DS filter and the 80 DS internal filter are about the same price so upgrading either is the same.

I've seen a couple of front mounted 60mm filters for sale so they do come up.

I would get a 60 rather than 50 if you've got the money as the focuser is a bit iffy on the 50 and getting focus for imaging can be a problem, not that the 60 focuser is anything special but at least it's easy to swop for a better one, Moonlight / Feathertouch etc

I also had to buy a rotator for the front etalon from TS, 135 euros plus postage :eek:

Dave

Stergio.  Dave is quite right to mention the importance of having a rotator from TS for the front etalon.  I tried to manage without one, but I just couldn't find a satisfactory way of rotating the front etalon without it sagging and affecting the alignment.  It is an expensive item, but having had one for a few weeks now I would consider it essential.  Don't even think about it if you go the DS route, just bite the bullet - you'll never regret it.  It makes a HUGE difference.

Archived