Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First good galaxy image

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, and from Australia. Just starting taking images in the last month.

Last week was my best polar alignment so far, got under 1 arc min with guiding. I also changed from ST-4 port guiding to Ascom guiding which seemed to make a big difference.
I spent some time on 2 objects. Redone Omega Cent and NGC 4945.

1 min subs x 20 light
1 min subs x 20 dark

Used DSS and Lightroom 6, guiding is PHD2.

On Nikon D7100 DSLR, HEQ5 EQMOD, GSO 6". Guider is ZWO ASI120mm
Still working on Omega Cent, but still need more data for both. Next time I might try 2 min subs at ISO 1600 and try and get good flats done with a white shirt.

NGC 4945.jpg

Hi Benklerk and welcome to the forum.

You have chosen a tough target to start your imaging career. Not a bad effort at all. In the same region you will find M83 - the southern pinwheel. It is brighter, bigger and a spiral galaxy from the top. There are also some nice bright nebulae worth mentioning: Carina and Tarantula stick out...

Anyway, good job for your first image :)

Clear skies

HJ

This is really my 2nd try. The 1st try was only a single image. This one is my first try at stacking.

The gear I used is HEQ5 Pro, GSO RC 6" (The GSO is sort of similar to Astro-Tech). ZWO ASI120mm Guider. Nikon D7100.

Im hoping to save up to buy the Top of the range ZWO monochrome camera with is 16MP CMOS sensor.

Archived