NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Are sights meant to be off set?

Hi everyone,

My partner bought me a skywatcher bk 1309 eq2 for my birthday. I've set it up and was trying to focus the sights on an object in the distance when I noticed that the mounting bracket for the red dot sight is angled to the right of the telescope slightly. This has caused the red dot and focus area to be terriblly off.

Is this normal or has it been built incorrectly before production, in which case I will have to return it.

14661081768741143603711.jpg

Hello welcome to SGL. All the scopes I have had may have had to finder slightly off the dead top of the tube , but have always been facing straight ahead . From your photos it looks as the finder is a minimum of about 5 degrees off the straight ahead position. That to me is going to mean location of a target is not going to be possible. It is like trying to compare it to a gun barrel with gun sights off at least by 5 degree from the straight ahead position, you are not going to hit anything. From what I understand the mount is not correct to where it should be. I hope this helps 

What matters is that you can get the red dot of the finder to be on exactly the same spot that the main scope, with a low power eyepiece, is pointing at. You need to use a distant object (100's of metres away or more ideally) to do this initial alignment.

If you can get the finder aligned with the main scope then it does not matter if the finder bracket looks a little askew on the tube but if you can't align the finder dot with the scope then there is a problem.

3 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

Hello welcome to SGL. All the scopes I have had may have had to finder slightly off the dead top of the tube , but have always been facing straight ahead . From your photos it looks as the finder is a minimum of about 5 degrees off the straight ahead position. That to me is going to mean location of a target is not going to be possible. It is like trying to compare it to a gun barrel with gun sights off at least by 5 degree from the straight ahead position, you are not going to hit anything. From what I understand the mount is not correct to where it should be. I hope this helps 

Yeah thw finder really is now where near the target. I shall be looking for a replacement. Thank you for your insight.

You don't need to send it back, just twist it so that it is pointing in the right direction. If necessary you may have to take the rdf off by loosening the silver thumbscrew so that you can get to the screws holding the quick release plate to the tube. If you do adjust the screws be aware there are nuts on the inside of the tube that will require holding and you need to be careful to avoid touching the mirror (also do any work with the tube horizontal so that if anything falls off it doesn't fall down the tube into your primary mirror).

As above, the shoe needs to be rotated to align it to the scope. It's a simple enough task, just loosen the screws securing the base to the scope and rotate, then re tighten.  And, as above, have the scope in the horizontal position when doing this - 2 minute job.

Jim

It's a little hard to tell with that picture but the finder shoe (block attached to the scope tube) looks to me as if it's the wrong way round. The finder should slide forwards into the shoe when looking from behind. You could try turning the shoe round and squaring it up as best you can before trying the finder in it again. Hth :)

Archived