Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PLEASE HELP!! PLANETARY IMAGING: Celestron C6 v C8 (SCT)

Hi! I am planning on using an AVX mount to get into astrophotography. For long exposure DSO's, as well as for getting a little more familiar with AP I am planning on using a small f/5-ish refractor. However, for planetary imaging, as well as visual observing, I plan to swap out the little refractor out with another scope. I was thinking either the C6 or C8 SCT. I've seen wonderful planetary images through those, as well as great visual capability. Any thought on which would work out the best for these purposes? I know the C8 will provide more light per unit of exposure time, but I feel like the weight of an AP setup with the C8 would be pushing the limits of the AVX mount. Although the C6 collects 78% (Or about that much sorry if I'm wrong) less light, it's lower weight wouldn't come as close to overloading the scope as the C8. So I'm not sure which scope would be a better choice for this particular mount. I will admit I'm leaning a little towards the C6, since it is a little less expensive, but I don't mind the C8 if it's worth the extra cash.

From what I can see, Costas, the AVX has a payload of 30lbs (13kg), and the C8 OTA weighs in at 13lbs (5.6kg). Even with a camera and barlow, you'll still be around 50% of the payload - which will be fine, as long you don't plan on mounting both scopes at the same time :)

Planetary imaging is largely about having sufficient focal length to get the required image scale, and as much aperture as possible to get the resolution. Light gathering power as such is not important in the same way it is for DSOs, but resolution is, and that is a function of aperture.

From Daz's post, it seems that you have plenty of capacity in the mount, but even so with planetary imaging you are taking short exposure video clips for processing, not long exposure subs so basic tracking to keep the target centred will be fine.

The C8 would be the better option as far as I can see.

I have had a C8 for over twenty years, and it is wonderfully compact and light. My old Vixen Great Polaris mount is  touch lighter than the AVX, and carries the C8 with utmost ease. Even if (when ;)) I get a bigger scope, the C8 is going to stay, as it is an awesome travel scope too.

Archived