Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars 4/6/16

mikeDnight

Cloud covered my skies prior to midnight but thankfully Mars remained in a clear strip of sky just long enough for me to observe the detail in the attached sketch. Despite the poor general conditions, the seeing in the region of sky around Mars was excellent ( Antoniadi 2). This is my 24th sketch for this apparition so far.

Mike

2016-06-05 08.45.28.jpg

Very nicely sketched. Was hoping to observe Mars last night after a glorious sunny, clear afternoon, but when evening fell those  clouds rolled back in to put a stop to those plans. Hoping tonight stays as clear as it is out there at the moment, with wall to wall blue skies. 

8 hours ago, John said:

Very nice Mike :icon_biggrin:

I've been comparing the views of Mars in my FC100 and my ED120 tonight. Very, very little between them I feel, on this occasion.

Hi John,

I'm not surprised your ED 120 is on an equal footing with the Tak at present. It is after all a super scope in its own right. However, if Mars were higher in the sky I dare say you'd begin to see a difference in definition with the Tak having the edge. It's a shame Jupiter is past its best as that would reveal the subtle differences between the scopes.

Thirteen years ago someone donated a beautiful Vixen FL102, including mount and eyepieces, to the Astronomy Centre run by Peter Drew. When I arrived there on that evening I saw three refractors lined up on the hillside. They were the FL102. A 100mm Tal and a 152 Helios. All three were aimed at Saturn low on the horizon and all three gave the same view. I thought at the time that no matter how good the FL102 was it could never outstrip a refractor of 6" aperture.As Saturn rose in the sky that beautiful Vixen fluorite kicked the crudd out of, not only the other two refractors along side it, but quite literally everything on the field regardless of aperture. It floored me completely!  When I first started out in astronomy, roughly about the same time as you, I soon felt that I knew all there was to know about telescopes. On that fateful night that F9 Vixen fluorite proved to me that I knew absoloutly nothing. As I drove home that night I wondered just how I was going to find the £2,200.00 for a fluorite refractor? And there began my dive head first into the world of fluorite refractors and abject poverty! Given the pedigree of your FC100 I feel fairly certain that under the right conditions it will prove to have the edge over the 120 as regards planetary performance. I would even venture to say that your FC will have a noticeable edge over a FL102, as yours is fully multicoated and the Vixen is not. Lots of exciting times ahead I think! :happy7:

Mike :happy11:

7 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

.... the FL102. A 100mm Tal and a 152 Helios. All three were aimed at Saturn low on the horizon and all three gave the same view. I thought at the time that no matter how good the FL102 was it could never outstrip a refractor of 6" aperture.As Saturn rose in the sky that beautiful Vixen fluorite kicked the crudd out of, not only the other two refractors along side it, but quite literally everything on the field regardless of aperture.....

Don't tell Derek ! ...... :lipsrsealed: :wink:

Superb sketch Mike. It had been clear here all day and  lo and behold as the sun sets clouds start to appear! But I wasn't feeling too good so after watching a episode of Star Trek (The Original Series) retired to bed.

7 hours ago, colin2007 said:

Superb sketch Mike. It had been clear here all day and  lo and behold as the sun sets clouds start to appear! But I wasn't feeling too good so after watching a episode of Star Trek (The Original Series) retired to bed.

Don't worry,  there'll be plenty of chances yet. It's only a hobby when all said and done, and should be a pleasure not a chore! :icon_biggrin:

Anyhow, here's the follow on sketch from last night for comparison. 

Mike ?

2016-06-07 13.20.36.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 14:30, mikeDnight said:

Don't worry,  there'll be plenty of chances yet. It's only a hobby when all said and done, and should be a pleasure not a chore!

Exactly right! your sketches show that you certainly find it a pleasure, they are very impressive.

Archived