Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn in opposition

BeerMe

Got a notification on the Sky Portal app about this last night but it didn't give any indication of the latitudes this would be most visible at.  The app suggests Saturn rises only slightly in the ESE area, yet the notification suggested that Saturn is high in the sky when it's at opposition.

I have the app set to Coatbridge as my home so I'm assuming it will only show notifications for things that I can see, so what gives?  Is it visible at night this month?

45 minutes ago, rockystar said:

Yes, Saturn is visible, rises above the trees about midnight for me. if you look south you can see Mars shining bright orange\red, Saturn is then to the left. Happy hunting :)

Thanks rocky.  South is just about my worst view but I have to find a way to see this :)

13 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

i viewed lastnight, at 11.30 pm, was very nice, it was due south, find mars and left about 4 full moons and 1 moon below.good hunting.charl. 

What elevation is it roughly when it crosses the meridian?

Edit:  Meridian, not zenith

yer id say 15 to 20 deg, but its easy to see with being so bright, sorry i took a while to get back, got watching a movie lastnight because of the darn clouds.charl.

12 hours ago, BeerMe said:

What elevation is it roughly when it crosses the meridian?

Saturn's given some cracking crisp views this year. If you can a look south , Mars comes first, very bright. Then below to the left is Antares, then this is followed by Saturn. Even at x50 it floats like a kids toy in the fov. It's taken x150-x200 easily,

Nick.

Yep I'm getting some great views of Saturn at the moment even though it's below 20 degrees elevation.  Clear Cassini division, a little dark cloud band in the middle, very 3D in appearance and I've seen 3 moons with it some nights.

Archived