Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon Filter Necessary with 8" Dob?

7 hours ago, N3ptune said:

watch the DSO's only half of the month. The waiting period could in fact be a good thing, keeping the motivation level always up: The less I can see the DSO's the more I want to see them but I can enjoy the mandatory cycle spectacle meanwhile.  Today it's a sun day for me, I will fully enjoy the sun.

((:

You have to factor in the UK weather! This year is an exception actually, but in the previous two years, most clear nights have been on or around full moon. I sometimes wonder if I would get bored with astronomy if I could do it every night of the week. Unless I move a long way from here, i'm never going to know ;)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's so rewarding, I don't believe it's possible to get bored from Astronomy, there is too much mystery out here.  DSO'S nights are rare it's like searching for gold it's almost a question of good fortune. :p

--> I think I could use Hubble every day. Yeah, most of people here could use Hubble every day, I am sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone's eyes are different, and I don't think it is correct for anyone to say 'you don't need a moon filter' as they are not using your eyes!

There is quite a big difference in sensitivity between my eyes. My left eye gives dimmer views but with good resolution, my right eye gives much brighter views, but they tend to look more like a badly tuned TV, poor resolution and 'noisy'.

I normally observe with my left eye, but occasionally try the right, just for fun to see if I can see any more fainter DSOs with it! Trying this on the moon, I do not need a filter with my left eye, but find it too bright with my right eye even at high mag so I fully understand why some people feel they benefit from a filter.

If I were to use one, either a Baader Neodymium or a variable polarizer would be my choice.

• 4 weeks later...

I found it really bright through my 6" and 10". Not eye damaging bright, but enough to leave a ghost image everywhere i look for a minute. It also kills my night vision, even with a moon filter. But you don't need one i guess, you can see details fine without it being washed out. I'd leave it until your scope arrives and then make a decision. 

A Moon filter is not a necessity but some observers find it a convenience. All I would add is that I make a point of not looking at the Moon until I have finished looking at DSOs because it takes me a while to get my night vision back. 

.....I'm surprised you even try for DSO's, Moonshed, if the Moons about, just too bright, its not something  I have considered, or even tried, to be honest.  Maybe I'm missing something here?

For me on my 8" Newtonian, for the moon alone, its sufficiently  big and bright enough to leave the dust cap on, and just remove the 2" aperture cap.  yes I'm now using an f/23  2" telescope, but I see no reduction in the image size, just a reduction in the image brightness. Sunglasses work just as well as a Moon filter!

That still allows me to see the Moon in great detail.

3 hours ago, Charic said:

.....I'm surprised you even try for DSO's, Moonshed, if the Moons about, just too bright, its not something  I have considered, or even tried, to be honest.  Maybe I'm missing something here?

If it's only a 1/4 Moon or so then it is still bright in the EP but it's it is still worthwhile looking at some DSOs depending on which part of th sky and their apparent brightness. I am only talking about observing here, not photography. I tend to grab every opportunity I get, without getting too fussy, because ideal seeing, or even halfway decent, can be a rare beast some times.

Archived