NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ioptron AZ PRO GOTO

Pig

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They do track very well indeed, even with a 7mm eyepiece (over 100 x magnification) the target remained smack in the middle of the eyepiece for over 1 hour, I then got bored of waiting for it to go off centre and changed target (AZ Mode)

18 hours ago, Pig said:

Two very different mounts you will need to determine what you want to do with it, my main requirements were, payload, dual mounting, built in power supply and Goto Precision.

maybe they are, but as Meatloaf might sing, 3 out of 4 ain't bad! The iOptron only has built-in power over the SW doesn't it?

Stu,

I am trying to make it to the next SGL meet, your more than welcome to trial any scopes on the mount,If you can wait that long. :happy7: On the plus side time does fly by.

5 hours ago, fireballxl5 said:

maybe they are, but as Meatloaf might sing, 3 out of 4 ain't bad! The iOptron only has built-in power over the SW doesn't it?

Once again its about what you want and it sounds like the Skywatcher is what you want, I am sure it is very good.

I like my eyepieces and scope to stay in the same position when slewing between targets (no astrobics) :happy7: Not needing cables is also big plus for me, but if you want to do AP then cables are unavoidable I guess.

3 hours ago, Pig said:

Stu,

I am trying to make it to the next SGL meet, your more than welcome to trial any scopes on the mount,If you can wait that long. :happy7: On the plus side time does fly by.

Would be great to see you there Shaun. I'm unlikely to be in a position to buy one before then so would appreciate having a look at it there. ??

• 4 months later...
On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 05:16, Pig said:

Once again its about what you want and it sounds like the Skywatcher is what you want, I am sure it is very good.

I like my eyepieces and scope to stay in the same position when slewing between targets (no astrobics) :happy7: Not needing cables is also big plus for me, but if you want to do AP then cables are unavoidable I guess.

Hi Pig,

A couple of points please -

1) how are you getting on with it as a few months has passed since your last feedback and I'm considering one, a few pros and cons would be ideal.

2) I have the 130mm version of your scope - do you think it would cope with that?

Thanks,

Mark

36 minutes ago, SteveNickolls said:

Hi, any try out using the mount for imaging? 

Cheers,

Steve

Steve,
 Only a couple of quick moon shots 1\40 sec, so nothing to go by. Are AZ mounts suitable for AP ?

Morning,

I hope you are well and still enjoying that iOpton mount. I tried replying last night but sometimes my little hudl, or is it this site, plays up! The short answer is, "Yes" Alt-Az mounts are actually rather good for astro-photography of DSO's. The longer answer is, "do see the SGL thread below." It is amazing what technology is now permitting, allowing entry into the once high walled home of AP. I rather see the advent of more CMOS chipped cameras with greatly increased sensitivity and less need for longer exposures will find more people using simpler Alt-Az mounts for imaging. also DSS and StarTools are enabling softwares allowing the use of Alt-Az equipment to get decent results. A brave new world to embrace by the people in it.

I'm still in the throws of saving the pennies up but it is a lot of £ to spend from a position of uncertainty on this mount as unfortunately no-one expects an Alt-Az mount can be used for imaging whereas the truth has moved significantly on from what once held true in the days of film cameras. My present SkyWatcher Synscan Alt-Az mount gives me excellent results at 60 seconds and though there's always field rotation to be aware of I was hoping the better engineered internals of the iOptron would provide longer accurate tracking for when it's needed. Also the design means no wires out in the field (a big plus), in built GPS and wi-fi control. The ability to hold two OTA's also is important to me.

Anyway thanks for your reply, it is appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve

Steve, All targets I look at have remained in the centre of the eyepiece for ages (up to appox 70 x mag) 

I do not know if this equates to an acceptable level for AP tracking. 

54 minutes ago, Pig said:

Steve, All targets I look at have remained in the centre of the eyepiece for ages (up to appox 70 x mag) 

I do not know if this equates to an acceptable level for AP tracking. 

Hi,

Thanks very much for this, I do get the view it is a good mount and reading between the lines of an email I got from iOptron I believe it will perform rather well at imaging and of course it has all the other 'features' that make it desirable. You may read elsewhere on SGL that those of us who choose to do Alt-Az imaging are hoping to push it's standing and awarenesss among the community and I see mounts like the iOptron become favorites with a whole new cadre of adopters. This technological world isn't going to stop and it's opening up new vistas to many people.

Good luck with your observing :-)

Best regards,
Steve

Archived