Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

autoPEC EQMOD file confusion

EQMOD EQ6

Hi

I had a go at autoPEC. I took all the default values but there seems little if any improvement.
Also, I'm not sure which file to choose. There are two:
pec.txt
and
peccapture_EQMOD.txt

The former is smooth, the latter jagged.
These appear only under EQMOD and indicate the folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\EQMOD\PEC
but in windows explorer, neither file is visible nor can be seen if looking for hidden files. They only appear in EQMOD.

Which file should I load? Any other gotchas?
TIA

Edited by alacant

PEC.TXT is your Periodic Error Correction curve - this is what you would load into EQMOD (if its not doing it automatically).

peccapture_EQMOD.txt  is the raw PE data that was captured and during AutoPEC and from which the PEC.TXt file was generated. If you were interested in analysing your mounts PE, perhaps to determine which mechanical components were causing the periodic error,  then this is the file you would load into PECPrep.

Don't know why they aren't visible to you - some windows thing I guess. There are just normal .txt files.

Chris.

• 1 year later...

Ah.. Googles brought me here... Did you ever get to the bottom of this?.. Seems I've stumbled on this one too now. I run the Obsy on auto with ACP. EQMod V2.00i with an EQ8. I've been tracking down some odd glitchy guiding issues & noticed they smooth out when PEC isn't running. I see that PEC is automatically enabled when EQMod loads even though I've disabled all options I can find & removed it (pressing the red X) in the PEC tab. At the moment I have to do that each time it loads to disable.. a pain on an automated obsy logging in every night!.  Now.. when I hit the load button the path indicates the pec.txt & peccapture files are still there.. I'm admin & enabled hidden files etc but can't see them from windoze. Even if I remove the PEC directory they still show up in that path in EQMod after shutting down & restarting.. I wonder if they are linked somehow to somewhere? I don't see them in a file search.

See below.. I've tried deleting & recreating the PEC dir. EQMod still thinks its there after the dir is deleted & its relaunched ?

PEC1.png.a341e505991858e31fca0e9b4c84c3ea.pngPEC2.png.759e90e543927c8302e9b624e5e0ca77.png

I hate not nailing root cause.. gotta be some windaes permission thing or EQMOD retaining something somewhere else. Anyway, I deleted the PEC directory & then applied the latest v2.00k EQMod.. overwriting the v2.00i. Nothing significant in release notes  between i & k but it's recreated the PEC dir and I see nothing in there but EQMod still thinks the 2 files are in there. However, my startup scripts, ACP etc are happy & EQMOD starts up & tracks sidereal only now. So without PEC applied. I know I should be posting on the yahoo grp but Yahoo is such a mess these days..

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone,

I can solve your puzzle. The files are actually here: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\EQMOD\PEC

The reason for that: Apps in a modern Windows are not allowed to write data into "Program Files" folder. They should do that into the AppData folder. There are still apps (like EQMOD), that try to write into the wrong folder. Windows is making a virtual folder for them. The app thinks it is writing into the program folder, but actually is redirected into a folder in the app data space, where it belongs.

Cheers, Rainer

• Like 1