Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Unlikely luck and Messier 5

DHEB

We had a moonless, clear night here in Sweden on 2016-05-04. Unlikely as it is, the sky was also very transparent and with unusually good seeing, and with temperatures above zero! I promptly forgot how tired I was after work and set out to observe and image. Started with M5, lying low. Nikon D40X, DSLR with Baader MKIII comma corrector, at the primary focus of a 200 mm f/5 Skywatcher 200 PDS newtonian, mounted on a EQ5 dual axis mount. Light pollution won't allow me to take long exposures that low in the sky (images taken at higher altitude on the same night came out much better), so for starters I shot just 10 scenes at ISO800, 6 seconds long each. Pre-processed in UFRaw, GIMP, stacked in Registax, and final touches in GIMP. Here it is, I am still learning, so no jaw-dropping pictures yet!

Cheers!

Hernán (Cinco Sauces)

(This story is also posted in my astroblog: https://epistulaeastronomicae.wordpress.com/)

M005_20160504_20160505_rp2.png

Thanks for your comment and the welcome, Tim. I have been in astronomy for a long while, but less than a year as an astrophotographer, so I am just beginning with this! We indeed have less and less darkness each day here. From 14 May we will not have nautical darkness anymore at home (59.35 N). This picture, and others that will come, were taken during a very lucky night, when I thought the scope was already packed for the summer. Next imaging session will be in August, but I do not rule out a visual one when clouds allow, even if not perfectly dark.

Cheers!

Bra bild, trots sommarljuset.

And welcome to the forum.

My scope is parked for the summer, I'm not even attempting anymore until earliest mid August.

Just one question: how is that mount of yours performing at almost 60 deg latitude? I find that Skywatchers construction for latitude setting doesn't really work. Polar alignment was almost impossible until I fitted a wedge inside my mounts alt adjustment. The reason I'm asking is that I plan to upgrade this summer, and am considering the AZ-EQ5 over the regular (H-)EQ5, just because of the alt adjustment. Would be interested in your opinion.

Tack! Goda nätter ska inte slarvas bort i sängen, även om det är ljust ;-)

I actually live at 59.35, the EQ5 works just fine at this latitude but I see that it is close to the limit. I always used it around Stockholm and never took it to the north, so I do not know how it works at, say, 61N. I doubt it will be appropriate much further north than that. I bought this one last year on a budget, so for the price I am fine, although I am conscious of its limitations (robust but not too robust, no possibility of external control without serious modification, etc). I will eventually upgrade in some future, but first I have a bit to learn, so for now it is just fine for me.

Cheers

Thanks,

I figured that around 60 degrees is the limit. The problem with SW mounts is that they designed the alt control in such a way that one bolt takes the whole load when doing polar alignment. This works for a while, but not in the long run. Even at lower latitudes, people are reporting problems with bent bolts, etc. The newer AZ-EQ mounts have a better design because they can be used in two ways.

4 hours ago, wimvb said:

Thanks,

I figured that around 60 degrees is the limit. The problem with SW mounts is that they designed the alt control in such a way that one bolt takes the whole load when doing polar alignment. This works for a while, but not in the long run. Even at lower latitudes, people are reporting problems with bent bolts, etc. The newer AZ-EQ mounts have a better design because they can be used in two ways.

You are right in the description of the mechanics and its potential problems. I can only say that if you can afford it, go for a good mount, perhaps a HEQ6, definitely not this one EQ5, it is just too simple and mechanically not the best. I am probably not the most qualified person to recommend mounts though!

1 hour ago, morimarty said:

Welcome to the forum Hernan, thats not a bad start to your astro imaging hobby considering your location/conditions. you will get loads of help on this friendly forum so just ask away!

Thanks, Martyn! This is definitely the best forum I know, with plenty of friendly and very compentent people! Happy to be in it now!

Archived