Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

So, did any of our merseyside friends see the UFO's?

Tim

If anybody was watching the skies on monday it would have been us astrogeeks.

Thoughts and opinions on these 'lights' ???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7472188.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7472310.stm

I especially like the bit where the guy describes himself as a "Sceptre" :grin:

And if there were no bangs, why did the kid wake up I wonder?

TJ

No I did'nt see any lights (looking North towards Merseyside, from where I live at Connah's Quay in North Wales), but I did see a very bright intense and stationary white light emanating from somewhere inbetween the Pole Star and Ursa Major. This was at about 10.15pm. I had my small 90mm Mak out (looking at Saturn - rapidly setting), and had been looking around the sky with my 10x50 binoculars. I must have just been lucky in that at the time of seeing this very bright white light, I had just put the binoculars down and was looking at the sky with my bare eyes. The light I saw seemed to rapidly grow in intensity until it looked to be the brightest light in the night sky - perhaps of the intensity of the planet Venus. I stared at the light thinking that I would point my scope at it, but in the few moments I was thinking, the light rapidly faded back down until it dissapeared (to the naked eye). I immediately lifted my binoculars to my eyes and tried to find the spot where I had seen this light. I could not detect anything. The whole experience had lasted perhaps 3 to 4 seconds. I looked about the sky for any aircraft, (as we are on one of the flight paths for Liverpool airport), but it was clear and silent. The only logical conclusions I could arrive at were (1) I had seen a man made satelite which perhaps had caught the Sun's rays and reflected them to Earth, or (2) that I had seen a "Supernova." (how likely is this I wonder!).

That's what I saw anyway. Did anyone else see anything in the Northern skies?

Regards,

philsail1

Ah, so that's what it was! What is an "iridium flare" Martyn?

Dave - you used to live in Shotton! Well, well, it's a small world!. (I'm not originally from Connah's Quay, but from Holywell. Lived here for the past 20 odd years now, so I guess the place has become home to me.

Regards,

philsail1

Archived