NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Super seeing with transparency.

Wow ! Hope others enjoyed the early part of last night. There was just so much difference in the sky. I collimated the 8" Newt and away !

Firstly to Jupiter , just crossing the meridian. The southern belt showed clear rents in the band and the thin belts to the equator and polar graduation. There was no waiting for clarity, just focus and enjoy.
Had a shot at the Canes Venatici and Coma galaxies as soon as it was dark enough.
NGC 4631 showed the faint "whale".
NGC 4214 an irregular Galaxy.
NGC 4490, the "cocoon".
NGC 4449 , resolved well at x150.
NGC 5005, the bright C29.
NGC 5033, a bright glow.
M106 appeared very diffuse. The bright core of M94.
Some views of Ursa Major galaxies,
NGC 2787, bright.
NGC 2681 , bright at x60,
NGC 2841, bright at x120.
NGC 3077, to the lhs of a triangle of stars.
I caught the smudge line of NGC 3077, then high cloud drifted in just after midnight. I tried the globular clusters, but much preferred the contrast in the frac.

A lovely clear session,
Clear skies ! 
Nick.

I Managed to get out and as you say Nick the skies went downhill especially after midnight, I didn't think the seeing was that great?

I'd set up with a couple of fellows from my society and during twilight had a quick look at jupiter which seemed to be shimmering away with very turbulent skies. I didn't do too much observing although tried for a few of the nebula's which didn't jump out? Didn't have a UHC filter to hand just a Meade OIII which was useful on the dumbell

M3, 13, 27, 51, 53, 56, 57, 65, 66, 81, 82 and 92 all like old chums and easy find's really. M51 really didn't show like I've seen it before so maybe the sky transparency had gone by then? A big disappointment although I was at galloway star party the last time I viewed it and was stunning.

I did some galaxy hunting around Bootes with 5490 (elliptical), 5492 (edge on spiral) and 5513 (elliptical).  Interestingly I found another spiral galaxy above 5490 that's not shown on my star chart? (Tri atlas) :undecided:

All in finishing off with a rather squidgy view of Mars and Saturn on their way up at around 1 am

Great to be out though and the frost on the light shroud was very thick!!!

Sure did Nick, but a somewhat lazy 5 hours or so at the end of a long tube, comfortably seated, with feet up, just staring at Jupiter, Mars and Saturn, in that order. Fleeting moments of clarity delivered very pleasing detail in all three, particularly Mars. Saw Io disappear at about 11.59 pm, but did not make it to the re appearance; cleared off just before I froze solid at 3.55am.....Great evening ! :happy11:

I am sure you live on top of a mountain Nick, you get more clear skies than me. The other year you beat me to 100 nights and it looks as if you will this year too. I always like you lists it sort of reminds me what there is to see though I don't seem so good at finding them.

Alan

Archived