NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter in daylight 30/4/16

mikeDnight

Google said it was going to rain early tonight in my region, so i decided to make the most of a cleat blue sky. The Sun was still quite high above the western horizon, so i swept for Jupiter with my 16×70 binoculars and found it within a few seconds. I then found it in the finderscope and after studying the rather low contrast view for a few minutes in the telescope, decided there was enough detail to warrant a sketch. So here it is!

Mike

2016-04-30 20.27.55.jpg

12 minutes ago, Grotemobile said:

Very good sketch Mike. Never thought about seeing Jupiter in the day time.

Thanks Steve,

It's not an ideal way to observe Jupiter as the contrast of the surface features is low. If you give it a go its best to study the image for a while, as its easy to imagine there's not much to see at first sight. The blue sky background can make floaters a problem, and although i didnt use them for my sketch, a blue, yellow or green filter may help to enhance the detail, especially in a larger aperture scope. It's a fine line between being enthusiastic and insane! :icon_compress:

Mike

1 minute ago, mikeDnight said:

Thanks Steve,

It's not an ideal way to observe Jupiter as the contrast of the surface features is low. If you give it a go its best to study the image for a while, as its easy to imagine there's not much to see at first sight. The blue sky background can make floaters a problem, and although i didnt use them for my sketch, a blue, yellow or green filter may help to enhance the detail, especially in a larger aperture scope. It's a fine line between being enthusiastic and insane! :icon_compress:

Mike 

Mike, we all crossed that line a long time ago trying to observe in the climate we have in the UK :icon_biggrin:

11 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Thanks Steve,

Mike

Enthusiasm bordering on the insane, sounds good to me !:happy11:

12 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Thanks Steve,

Mike

But for all that against you you've captured some nice detail,lovely sketch.

26 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

Mike, we all crossed that line a long time ago trying to observe in the climate we have in the UK :icon_biggrin:

30 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Thanks Steve,

Mike

You think youre Insane, i Imaged it last week 

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/268112-daylight-jove-17-4-16-1930-hrs-blue-sky/

Archived