Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging equipment advice.

Hi, 

I am about to get started in my astrophotography adventure. After reading more on narrowband imaging and that it is possible under light polluted conditions, I deciding this the route to go as I have limited access to dark skies. As for the mount and scope, I will be going for the HEQ5 + Skywatcher 80ED combo. I suppose I would need a coma corrector (Baader MPCC 3?) for the scope. Would need advice on the CCD and filter choice. Camera choices available at local dealer are: 1) ZWO ASI 174MM 2)ZWO ASI 120MM-S. Is either these any good? About narrowband filters, I would have to source else where so is there any recommend brands? What else would I need?

The scope and mount will be fine.

personally, I like Atik cameras......very reliable and good after sales service, which it's unlikely you will need!  Dont go for anything with an 8300 chip in though ( what camera seems to make a big difference with this chipthough....QSI seem to make it work quite well, but the Starlight Xpress version in the H18 is a waste of time)...the chip isn't terribly sensitive compared to the sony chips, and for narrowband you will want as sensitive a chip as you can get.

the best filters are astrodon, but they cost a fortune. Baader are very good value for money, and better than astronomik.

I will add that you don't need the Baader MPCC, that's for correcting Newtonian reflectors. What you do need is the Skywatcher 0.85x reducer / flattener, here:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reducersflatteners/skywatcher-85x-reducer-flattener-for-ed80.html

You may also need an adaptor from the m48 thread on the camera side to whatever camera / filter wheel you are planning to use.

1 hour ago, RobH said:

The scope and mount will be fine.

personally, I like Atik cameras......very reliable and good after sales service, which it's unlikely you will need!  Dont go for anything with an 8300 chip in though ( what camera seems to make a big difference with this chipthough....QSI seem to make it work quite well, but the Starlight Xpress version in the H18 is a waste of time)...the chip isn't terribly sensitive compared to the sony chips, and for narrowband you will want as sensitive a chip as you can get.

the best filters are astrodon, but they cost a fortune. Baader are very good value for money, and better than astronomik.

The camera brands you mentioned are a bit too expensive for my budget. Is there other beginner options for me to play with before investing heavily into more expensive options?

2 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Why not try with a modded DSLR first, if you can source one.

Peter

I do have a DSLR. Unfortunately it's a Nikon D750. So far I have read that CCD is needed for narrowband imaging. I could be wrong. Can I use my DSLR?

17 minutes ago, riklaunim said:

For good narrowband imaging you need a mono camera. DSLR is not the optimal choice for that, however it can be used with light pollution filters (and modded) to do some nebulae imaging.

riklaunim,

how's your ASI178MM for narrowband use?

You could always buy secondhand.....I noticed some baader filters have just come up for sale on here.

if you see an Atik16HR, or starlight xpress H9 come up for sale, they have small but very good chips, and go for around £500 now, and objects like the crescent nebula will fit nicely on the chip with the setup you are talking about. Any Sony 285 chipped camera will do a great job.

I think the best option for me now is to get the mount+scope+flattener, add an Orion Ultrablock to use with my DSLR. Otherwise will get a ZWO to play with, which can be used on a guidescope when things get complicated. :)

I've been playing around with a FOV calculator. Am I correct that using a ATIK 314L+, I can only image a portion of Orion nebula? I am looking at ZWO new ASI 1600MM too. It can cover a much larger area.

astronomy_tools_fov.png

Archived