Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heads Up - for all the Moon Haters

Pig

Just picked up the S@N special 'Patrick Moore's Guide to the Moon' - spotted it on sale for the princely sum of €6.43, with the UK price of £9.99 printed on it: score! ;) Looks like a nice compendium thumbing through - I hope to get lots of use from it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, niallk said:

Just picked up the S@N special 'Patrick Moore's Guide to the Moon' - spotted it on sale for the princely sum of €6.43, with the UK price of £9.99 printed on it: score! ;) Looks like a nice compendium thumbing through - I hope to get lots of use from it.

Sounds cool. I've owned these (below) since I was a young teenager.

Astro Booksfx.jpg

The 'Moon, Mars and Venus: A Concise Guide in Colour' was published by Hamlyn and written by Antonin Rukl. 90% of it is a Moon atlas, I believe it's still in print in various forms.

On 17/04/2016 at 19:24, Pig said:

have a look and tell me it isn't beautiful :happy6:

I said previously "Thanks for the wake-up" and it motivated me to get my little bridge camera out of retirement ! I also said " Now for a happy hour by the fireside to look for Lunar100", well it took a bit longer than that ! Not easy identifying the tangle of craters round Tycho but here is what I found so far ( shown also in the Beginners Imaging section) a little reduced in resolution for file size on the forum) thanks for prompting the fun :) :-

176L100.jpg

22 hours ago, niallk said:

I've come round to changing my mindset - I used to not bother when the moon was around, but now I'm starting to take an interest in finding stuff on the moon, and trying for detail in my dob. It is amazing - it has to be said - when you get some steady seeing, and it's always changing in appearance. And it's there all summer long, plus you don't have to wait til 1am for some proper darkness ;). Dont get me wrong, I primarily like to go after DSOs, but might as well learn to love it :D

Nice one and way to go :happy6: It looks as though we will be having another clear night here tonight..... nice bonus.

I think it's the Moon that's kick-started plenty of astro obsessions, it certainly did with me about 55 years ago. The sweep of the stars and the milky way are beautiful and pique ones interest to know more but the Moon is just about the only thing you can study with virtually nothing but eyes.

Turned out quite well. Observed (90mm Mak) from about 45 mins before the Transit (23:37) to around 00:15. At Transit the Moon was Waxing Gibbous at 35.8° in Leo at a distance of 405, 326 km. Seeing was above average, although the transparency could have been better as magnifications above 100x were not well defined. Nice Terminator shadows near Schickard. Aristarchus was unusually bright compared to Herodotus and the Vallis Schroteri area was very well defined. I used a variety of EP's including Plossls, Masuyama clones and orthoscopics as I experimented with magnifications on different targets (33.3x, 55.5x, 66.6x and 100x mainly).

aristarchus.jpgvallis schroteri1.jpg

The clouds rolled in a little early here at around 10:30 .... I have to say Jupiter was looking fantastic and I even got to see the GRS, the combination of the Esprit and the Pentax 3.5mm is quite amazing :happy6: fantastically sharp results.

10 hours ago, John said:

Nice report Mak :icon_biggrin:

I was covering similar territory earlier:

Thanks. Oddly, I was reading about Schroter's Valley only a few weeks ago and thought I would have to take another look it at when the chance arises. And lo and behold Aristarchus was shining like a beacon lol.

Archived