Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heads Up - for all the Moon Haters

Pig

I was just having a peek through the binoculars and from nowhere this wonderful huge Moon popped out from behind the clouds..... :hello: I really wasn't expecting it to be there and it kinda took me by surprise.  

It sure is a wonderfully huge menacing lump of rock and when set against a wonderfully blue sky, like it is at the moment, it looks absolutely wonderful..... so all you crazy people that hate the "boring" Moon go and have a look and tell me it isn't beautiful :happy6:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Pig said:

I was just having a peek through the binoculars and from nowhere this wonderful huge Moon popped out from behind the clouds..... :hello: I really wasn't expecting it to be there and it kinda took me by surprise.  

It sure is a wonderfully huge menacing lump of rock and when set against a wonderfully blue sky, like it is at the moment, it looks absolutely wonderful..... so all you crazy people that hate the "boring" Moon go and have a look and tell me it isn't beautiful :happy6:

You've got it nailed there, Shaun. Anyone who sees the moon through an optical aid and isn't moved ... ain't worth movin'.l

Thanks for the replies Guys ( I did try a multi quote but it didn't seem to work ) :happy7: LoL Gordon I couldn't have put it better myself and I must agree most sincerely ...... very very true :happy6:

I never get tired of looking at our Moon. I notice (see) something new every time. I don't think I could ever get 'bored' of it. Most of my clear nights at the moment do seem to coincide with full or near full Moons however! :happy9:

52 minutes ago, Pig said:

if i had the money i would flock the moon shaun :happy10:

2 minutes ago, faulksy said:

if i had the money i would flock the moon shaun :happy10:

LoL .... That's some undertaking Mike :happy7: being able to watch you flock the Moon would certainly inspire me to buy a Dob !!!

Just now, baldeliftman said:

Hi I always though it was a cow that jumped over the moon sorry pig

Indeed yes :happy7: but it was really me that ran away with the spoon :happy1:

10 minutes ago, Gina said:

I've done plenty of lunar imaging in the past.  It was out earlier but now hiding behind a dark mass of thick cloud :(

Its also got pretty chilly out Gina .... still clear here though :happy6:

12 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Just taken a peep out of the door it is way colder then what the forecast says... Debating on whether to go freeze or not.

If its not cloudy you best go for it :happy6: Jupiter is very close by too !!!

1 hour ago, Pig said:

It sure is a wonderfully huge menacing lump of rock and when set against a wonderfully blue sky, like it is at the moment, it looks absolutely wonderful.....

I sure is ! Thanks for the wake-up call Shaun, it is so easy to forget the simple pleasures in life ! I've just spent a happy-hour, first in Mk1 eyeball mode then with the 10x50 bino.

Then I remembered my little bridge camera with 18x zoom so I then spent some (re-learning)time with that getting the moon against a perfect blue sky, then upon examining the pics indoors on the laptop realized that the JPG artifacts were a bit intrusive , , oh I remember silly ol' fool that I am, I was supposed to do RAW as well,  , so back outside and shoot off a few more ,, oh bother I had done RAW only so no preview jpg without developing grrrr, the simple things one forgets , , , back outside and do some more JPG+RAW this time :)

So, now a happ-hour by the fireside to see which of the Lunar100 I got :) I know I have Sinus Iridum & Montes Jura my fav. part when the terminator is near :) are they in the 100 ? lets see what else , , ,

Well, after getting all fired up reading this thread, I decided to get my grab'n'go 90mm Mak and get a butcher's hook! I observed for around forty minutes until the cloud came. Jupiter was in the vicinity and I had a few quick looks at that. When I started the Moon was waxing gibbous (90.7%), descending, past Transit (22:54) at azimuth 12.1° at an altitude of around 43° (Leo). Seeing was generally fairly good and clear with only very wispy faint cloud discernible. I used magnifications from around 33x through 67x to 100x. Mostly with orthoscopic or orthoscopic style EP's. Mare Imbrium was bright and very clear and I saw some decent Terminator shadows to the west of Mare Nubium.

sunday.jpg

I'd still be out there now if it wasn't for the clouds!

Endless subtle changes in appearance and detail, daylight and night time viewing, easy to target and view even when in and out of cloud.

If it wasn't for the Moon, this pastime of ours would loose a great deal (especially under present weather conditions).

Doug.

I've come round to changing my mindset - I used to not bother when the moon was around, but now I'm starting to take an interest in finding stuff on the moon, and trying for detail in my dob. It is amazing - it has to be said - when you get some steady seeing, and it's always changing in appearance. And it's there all summer long, plus you don't have to wait til 1am for some proper darkness ;). Dont get me wrong, I primarily like to go after DSOs, but might as well learn to love it :D

Archived