NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

H Alpha from the 10th

David Smith

I took quite a bit of H Alpha data on the 10th but was struggling to process on the day, so I just processed the frame containing the big AR and then moved on to Ca-K and white light. With a bit of time on my hands tonight I decided to have another go at it.

In the past I have always tried to use the QHY5-IImono at full resolution (1280x1024) and struggled to get full frame illumination to be able to get a decent flat field. So on Sunday I switched the QHY down to 640x512. This does several things, 1. the reduced frame size fits inside the sweet-spot of the PST 2. ROI fits inside the area of the sweet spot which is less affected by newton rings 3. frame rates are higher so I can get 1000 frames in less time.

First I took 200 de-focused frames in a quiet area of the Sun for a flat and then 15 panes of 1000 frames in a rather haphazard manner! Unforutnately clouds came over before I could cover the entire disk. Used AS!2 to generate a flat file but when I usedthis during stacking it left me with bright fringes around the output images. So I put the flat into GIMP and stretched it 50% and hey presto, now the output images from AS!2 are much more even.

After a quick batch process through Imppg, Autostitch was able to assemble all 15 panes into something recognisable. Some minor tweaks in GIMP produced the image below. Shame I missed a bit near the AR but as a proof of concept I am pretty happy. Compared to some of my previous efforts it is relatively free of newton rings and relatively even-toned across the mosaic. Not sure how often I will have the patience to sit and shoot a 20-25 pane mosaic though!

20160410_Ha_15Pane.png

David, really glad you persevered with the data stitching, as you say proof in the pudding but above all you just learnt something new.

Yep res isn't the be all & end all, a lower res bigger fov is great for FD's where as high res for close ups is a must.

Archived