Need a budget communal telescope suggestion

Gregcc

Hello all,

Always looked up at the stars and have been fascinated and now have access to some of the most beautiful skies looking to buy a second hand telescope on a shoe string budget which would be newbie friendly as I plan to put it in a communal part of a hotel, so the guests may have access to it too (thus the shoestring budget). Would also like to purchase an easy to digest book for the guests to be able to read and understand what they (and myself) are looking at and how to operate the telescope.

Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

If your budget's really tight, then this :http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-heritage-76-mini-dobsonian.html might be the best option. If you wouldn't mind spending a bit more, then this :http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-heritage-100p-tabletop-dobsonian.html, or better still:http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

For a book, I would normally recommended an 'illustrated guide to astronomical wonders', however the getting started section is very long, and might not be the best for people only staying for a few days. Other than that there's Turn left at orion', although I'm not sure whether that will be the same. You could have a look on FLOs book selection here:http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books.html Also include a planisphere as well.

While my first thoughts were also of a Dobsonian, perhaps a simple refractor on an alt-azimuth mounting would be more 'user-friendly' for the general population to get their heads around. After all, it's the refractor-design that most people think of when they hear the word 'telescope.' Maybe a used (in excellent condition) 80 - 100mm aperture and some Plossl eyepieces?

My 2¢ -

Dave

For communual use I would also suggest a refractor 80-100mm on a altaz tripod. Keep a beady eye out for second hand, and astroboot web site. I would add a huge sticker to it to say do not point it at the Sun perhaps keep it locked up and on a request basis used rather then free for all.

Hi Greg and welcome to the forum. Difficult to recommend a scope without knowing a precise budget. As far a s a book is concerned I too would suggest 'Turn Left at Orion'. It's a great book detailing around 100 objects divided up into the four seasons and has some great information on each object including both written and visual diagrams on how to find them. If you use this in conjunction with Stellarium then you will have a great combination in helping your guests understand the night sky.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here

+1 for the AZ mounted refractor. No maintenance and everyone knows what end to look in!

+ 1 also for a warning message about not pointing it at the sun (any maybe keeping it somewhere north facing).

Don't know what your budget is, but something like this sounds fine for its intended use and is very reasonably priced.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-astromaster-series/celestron-astromaster-70az.html

My other thought is that a zoom eyepiece (rater than multiple plossls) might be a good investment, since the vast majority of people using it will have no idea about focal lengths etc, and could damage the eyepieces while changing. Something like the Seben 8-24mm (NOT the 7-21mm) is reasonably prices (about £50) and again I think it would be fine for a communal area.

Hi Greg and welcome to SGL. Having good skies, you want to consider providing a scope, placed in an open communal position in a hotel, for you and your guests to use. Very nice idea for you and others to take advantage of the night sky, however, I would have qualms about all and sundry having access to Astronomical equipment, without supervision. You may find yourself faced with damage, knobs and eye pieces going walk about, never the less, if you know the people you are providing accommodation for, then this is something that may well be an added attraction.   

For my part, I would give some thought to obtaining a good basic s/h 6" refractor, on a good solid hand driven mount. This should give some splendid observations of the Moon and other popular targets in our local system, without the intrusion of electrics and motor drives. Enjoy the forum :)

Archived