Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cancer M67 Opencluster nebulosity

N3ptune

Hey!

I looked at M67 yesterday it was one of the most interesting cluster I ever observed yet. I think the background was fill with nebulosity around the stars and with the use of the OIII filter the contrast was even stronger.

"I think" because the nebulosity and a ton of extra star appear with averted vision almost only.

--> That was a seriously interesting object to watch (((: 

Am I crasy or there is a lot of nebulosity inthere?

20 hours ago, dick_dangerous said:

M67 is a pretty old cluster, so there wouldn't be any gas left around it. I always find it quite a pleasing one to observe!

Paul

Looked nice the other night didn't it Paul?

Nice report Neptune. :) 

I'd tend to agree with the opinion of previous members. It could also be that those were faint stars which you interpreted as a nebulosity. There are some open clusters which give this effect. Have you already observed M35 (Gemini), M36-37-38 (Auriga)? Those are also fine open clusters. :)  

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Looked nice the other night didn't it Paul?

It did! I often forget about Cancer viewing from London because it's so faint, but M67 is a bit of a favourite. It looks like a grainy mist with my smaller telescope, so could be mistaken for having some associated nebulosity.

Paul

Thanks for all your reply, I was away sorry about that.

Well I don't know what to think.. really. I could see a lot of faint stars inside the M67, it was unique. Ill have to look at it again just to verify if  it could have been condensation, it's really possible. It was a beautiful object regardless what happened. (:

I also saw Gemini M35 and Auriga M36, 37, 38, honestly that was my very best star cluster observation I ever had to this day. (A few days before I saw M67)

My exploration of Auriga was done with my newly arrived Cambridge Double Star Atlas has suggested here in a previous post by laudropb (:

--> Thanks for that suggestion, that Atlas is one of the best book I ever bought in my life. (:

This is a firecracker of a cluster.....glad you loved it!  I viewed it for the first time the other night and was mightily impressed.  

Some of my EPs could give the impression of nebulosity at high power I think or perhaps is due to atmospheric conditions like high humidity. I've seen what looks like nebulosity around the Pleiades (which actually does have it) but often doubt I'm actually seeing the real thing Mostly I ignore the effect.  

Archived