NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Only 12 miles... but what a difference

Saganite

I spent a couple of hours at our Society Observatory last evening to catch up with colleagues and enjoy observing with kindred spirits.There must have been a dozen or more newcomers of all ages , so very soon the dome was full of people and the Dobs outside were pressed into use,we even had the bonus of the ISS at 8.30' ish.

Everyone ,of course wanted to see Jupiter and the Moons and the 'seeing' was pretty good, so nobody was disappointed, particularly in being able to watch Io slide behind the planet. The double cluster in Perseus, and M44 are always lovely to observe, and the 10" Dobs duly obliged.

I had left my scopes out  cooling, and set up, ready to go on my return, but before I left the observatory, and after most  people had gone, I had a quick look at Polaris A & B, and on an impulse, M51. I could see both Galaxies, but they were just smudges. The 12 mile drive home did not take long, and I was treated to a  ghostly sighting of the Barn owl, patrolling his patch, something I see regularly, en route. By 11.15 pm, I had set the refractor on tracking Jupiter, and then turned the 12", with Meade UWA 14mm in the focuser (107X), onto M51, and the difference was astonishing. Sure an extra 2" of mirror will have some effect, but the absence of so much light pollution in the countryside, where I  live, now revealed both Galaxies with structure, but above all , bright central hubs of light, something that was not visible at all in the Town; always a joy to see and one I visit often, not least because it is so easy to locate, and is in a patch of sky so rich in targets.

Over the next three hours, I alternated between scopes, on hands and knees ( once again I could not be bothered to extend the tripod legs, and I really must " extract the proverbial digit" and get the pier done) at the big refractor, just enjoying looking at Jupiter and teasing out detail in the gradually worsening transparency, and of course, some 4.5 hours later, watching Io emerge from behind the planet, and "bagging" targets in the Dob.

A short hop from M51, and I was back to  another little pair of favourites, M81& M82 with NGC3077 as a little extra, and then a mighty swing over to the Leo triplet. I have seen M65 ,M66, and NGC3628, better, but the transparency was, as I say, getting worse, but still, a thrill. A hop over Jupiter and M96 and M95 were revealed, along with a very dim M105.

My observing chair, I noticed ,now had a thin layer of frost on the seat and before moving to Corvus, I resolved to do better next time , and maybe sit on it. I had just bought it from Chris, and it is lovely and looks comfortable, and it amused me to think that I have for so long laboured with a noisy, and clanky ironing stool, and then replaced it for the cost of a good eyepiece, only to have it keep me company.

I turned to Corvus as it was now between my  neighbours tree and her bungalow and the sky in the south had improved somewhat. With the ES 34mm in the focuser, as it had been most of the night, I could scan a large swathe of sky, and soon located an oval patch,  above and to the side of Algorab, and checking my chart ,it would appear to be the Sombrero Galaxy, however I could not say for sure as I certainly saw little other than an oval smudge, and certainly no dark band. Nearby is NGC4802 which, is at least a magnitude dimmer, so I am not sure. I did however look at the  Stargate Cluster sigma 1669 which is below M104 so maybe it was. 

For many reasons, a great evening that finished at 2.55am

Very nice report. I had a similar experience. M51 through the 16" RC at our university was OK, but with my 8" SCT from a dark location outside of the city (15 km, or so), it was definitely better (smaller, but spiral arms visible). From a really dark site with Olly's 20" Dob it was just gobsmacking.

11 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Very nice report. I had a similar experience. M51 through the 16" RC at our university was OK, but with my 8" SCT from a dark location outside of the city (15 km, or so), it was definitely better (smaller, but spiral arms visible). From a really dark site with Olly's 20" Dob it was just gobsmacking.

Cheers Michael.

M51 is such a favourite of mine, and from a dark site, in a large dob, it must be spectacular.:happy11:

You are lucky to live in such a place. I need to drive 5,5 - 6 hours to our cabin in the countryside to experience the same.

Very recognizable, observing on your knees because you don't want to extend the tripod legs. I have found out that short tripod legs mean more stability. And when they are low, I can observe comfortably on a garden chair in the direction where I observe most. But when I point the scope more upwards, I'm crawling on my knees and think this is an absurd hobby.

Also, I haven't got a portable observing chair yet, so when I take the scope along on an overnight camping trip (without car), I observe without any chair, on my knees on a camping mattress. That is not quite as comfy as at home.

Nice report, Steve, and interesting to compare the two locations on the same night.  It did get very dewy all of a sudden at about midnight yesterday, which then turned frosty an hour later,  I think we were looking at similar targets.

Paul

4 minutes ago, FenlandPaul said:

Nice report, Steve, and interesting to compare the two locations on the same night.  It did get very dewy all of a sudden at about midnight yesterday, which then turned frosty an hour later,  I think we were looking at similar targets.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

All things considered, the seeing was pretty good I thought.I always wear good warm clothing when I am observing and I honestly was amazed at the frost, not feeling the cold.I am not far from Grafham Water and I often wonder what effect such a large body of water has on my sky:icon_biggrin:

23 minutes ago, Linda said:

You are lucky to live in such a place. I need to drive 5,5 - 6 hours to our cabin in the countryside to experience the same.

Very recognizable, observing on your knees because you don't want to extend the tripod legs. I have found out that short tripod legs mean more stability. And when they are low, I can observe comfortably on a garden chair in the direction where I observe most. But when I point the scope more upwards, I'm crawling on my knees and think this is an absurd hobby.

Also, I haven't got a portable observing chair yet, so when I take the scope along on an overnight camping trip (without car), I observe without any chair, on my knees on a camping mattress. That is not quite as comfy as at home.

I am lucky to have such an understanding wife ! When we decided to move out of town, she would have preferred to be within 6 miles rather than 12, because of our daughters and grand children, but I got my wish..........on this occasion.:icon_biggrin:

As far as the tripod goes, you are spot on really. My refractor is 2 metres long, and having just got the damping time down to an acceptable level,

I don't want to add uncertainty by balancing it on stilts, thats where the Pier comes in.

Cheers

3 hours ago, Linda said:

Back in the 70's I have even been on my back laying on the lawn at home when I was in Hull, about the closest i get now is to kneel to align the polar scope and then find I can't get back up without climbing the tripod.

Alan

4 hours ago, alan potts said:

A really nice report, it is amazing what a bit of darkness makes. I must make a date with M 51 as I have not looked in on it for a good while.

should be nice in the 18" Alan....lovely read and a good selection of targets....must admit when I saw 104 I was a little disappointed....damn photos!

Archived