Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar Astronomy

Using my WO GT81 & Skywatcher 150PL I have already dabbled a bit with solar astronomy using Baader solar film but I would now like to raise the game, what would you recommend - budget approx >=£1,000 + something that would be good to use for a few years?  I particularly want to see and image prominences and surface detail, that is of course lacking with the white image obtained with the film, and for the moment would be DSLR & / or webcam imaging.  

Thanks, Graham

One option with that budget is the Lunt 50 Ha PT B600. They are difficult to find.  Imaging is possible with a webcam. Despite what others say it is also possible with a DSLR as I have demonstrated, but for that it is necessary to use eyepiece projection. See my Flickr  link for images.

I know nothing about imaging - but as well as the kit mentioned above, a Daystar Quark filter is well within your budget. Those with the necessary knowledge may advise on the practicalities or viability of this.

Just in case, please be aware that the Quark cannot be used with your reflector. Forgive me if you know that and that it seems obvious but others reading the thread may not be aware - and eyesight is precious beyond measure, although it would most likely be the scope that suffered!

Thanks all.  

1. What are the pros and cons between say the Lunt 50 PT 400PT & 600PT?
  2. Will the 50mm aperture take in all the sun's disc or is a 60mm needed?
  3. What sort of resolution do they produce?
  4. Why would any one of these scopes not take DSLR or is the webcam (I use a ZWO120MC) like planetary just the better way to go?
  5. Will they focus with a DSLR + filed flattener?
  6. Do you use standard 1.25" eyepieces with these scopes / will they take 2.0"?
  7. Anything else I need to know / consider?
  8. What is tuning? 

Archived