Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Crab Nebula HA-LRGB Burning like fire

pyrasanth

That final image is a winner - It's well processed and pleasing to the eye. There's no tricks and gimmicks (ie star spikes!) to try to hide anything, it is as it is ....... and you've done well to get there. I hope that this learning curve will be able to be transferred to your other work :)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, swag72 said:

That final image is a winner - It's well processed and pleasing to the eye. There's no tricks and gimmicks (ie star spikes!) to try to hide anything, it is as it is ....... and you've done well to get there. I hope that this learning curve will be able to be transferred to your other work :)

Thanks Sara- I took all your advice with a positive corrective stance so thanks for all the advice earlier on & all the other people who advised.

Clear skies to you all:icon_biggrin:

I knew that there was a bit more of the core that could be teased out. I applied a Starmask from within PixInsight then ran a light HDRmultiwavelet transform. This extracted more detail particularly in the core without harming the stars except for one big one at the bottom of the image. I feel that the work is now truly complete with this image. Thanks for following me on the journey.

Crab_HDR-Multiscale-Transform-RGB-COMPOSITE-WITH-LAYERS.png

I echo the views already expressed; this is a really fine image of the nebula.  You have overcome horrendous gradients and dealt with the dodgy stars.  It's been fascinating to see the image evolve and improve over the past few days.

Well done!

Adrian

Nice progression! For your last image you said you used a mask for core adjustments and i'm guessing you didnt want that bright star included? If not, you can always use the clone stamp to remove any features from the mask you dont want included, in this case that star :) hope that helps.

Callum

On 4/9/2016 at 00:52, gorann said:

Yes, that is a mighty nice Crab Nebula!

In fact, that accomplishment helped me decide on my next scope purchase, so I just bought an Edge 1100

It is a fine instrument. However you will find that focus drifts very dramatically over an imaging session as the temperature drops. I would give very serious consideration to the Optec SMFS & FocusLock to give yourself a very stable focused platform. The other issue is guiding- it needs to be spot on as you will be imaging at either 2.8 m or 1.9 & that demands a good mount and accurate polar alignment. I would advise also using guiding through the optics & not an external guide scope as differential flex can be difficult to eradicate at long focal lengths. You will want to lock the primary mirror & indeed locking of the primary will be critical to the success of sharp images.

I'm going to be moving up to the 14" Edge in the next few months as the lessons learned with the 11" will make this upgrade a far more palatable experience. I'm glad I bought a mount that can easily handle the C14 and most of the technology I have can be transferred to the C14.

If you have any questions about the technology I'm proposing then ping me a PM I will be happy to help.

The Crab is absolutely fabulous in the final image. Low bow. The background sky is not at the same level but it's easy for me to say that, living at a dark site! Could you work on that? I'd be seriously tempted to try because the nebula deserves it.

Olly

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

The Crab is absolutely fabulous in the final image. Low bow. The background sky is not at the same level but it's easy for me to say that, living at a dark site! Could you work on that? I'd be seriously tempted to try because the nebula deserves it.

Olly

Thanks Olly. I had every intention to work on the background stars but to get much better results I may need to wait until the winter as M1 is very low. What I proposed was to shoot the back ground stars as a separate project and add these as a layer into the original image. This is easy to do as I have the crab as a layer without stars so it can be easily corrected with new data but initially I may try & work with the data I have. I will keep you all informed if I can get anything better with the data I have.

This image is posted especially for Olly as I know he enjoys a nice dark sky with no gradients- oh the jealousy from me. But with a little noise processing and a quick lift of the mid levels we get the image below-

Let me know what you think- I hope Olly likes it better!

M1-LRGBHA-MASTER.png

20 minutes ago, pyrasanth said:

This image is posted especially for Olly as I know he enjoys a nice dark sky with no gradients- oh the jealousy from me. But with a little noise processing and a quick lift of the mid levels we get the image below-

Let me know what you think- I hope Olly likes it better!

M1-LRGBHA-MASTER.png

He does!

Olly

Archived