Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comparing 8" Dobsonian Reflectors

8" Battle  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these 8" do you recommend?

• Orion SkyQuest XT8 Classic
    • Sky-Watcher 8" Collapsible
    • Sky-Watcher 8" f/6 Traditional
    • Zhumell Z8
    • All about the same
    • Other

I have done some shopping and thanks to advice given here have come up with a few choices.  What I would like to see is some planetary detail like the great red spot, perhaps a ring division on Saturn and a bit of detail in nebula and galaxies.  My primary viewing location is pretty dark for being in St Louis County USA.

The Zhumell Z8 has a cooling fan,  and two eyepieces, one being a 2".  It looks to be back ordered though.  EDIT: It has been brought to my attention this one has a right angle correct image finder which seems to be a plus.  http://www.telescopes.com/products/zhumell-z8-deluxe-dobsonian-reflector-telescope

The Skywatcher 8" Collapsible has the best chance of ever fitting in my 68 Mustang and probably my Lincoln if I decide to lug it out to the country for some real dark skies.  The wife does have a mini van though... EDIT: this one also has a version of a right angle image finder. https://www.optcorp.com/skywatcher-8inch-collapsible-dobsonian-telescope.html.

The Skywatcher 8" Traditional is cheaper and will require less maintenance than the collapsible I assume.  Is there a performance difference if I shield the collapsible?  https://www.optcorp.com/skywatcher-8inch-f6-traditional-dobsonian-s11610.html

Finally the Orion SkyQuest XT8 Classic only has 1 eye piece but comes with some seemingly exclusive Starry Night software.... https://www.optcorp.com/orion-skyquest-xt8-classic-dobsonian-telescope.html

What differences should I be noticing and what else should I be considering?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.  You all have been quite helpful.

I personally would go for the collapsible Dobsonian. Ease of taking it out to the dark sites is very important. Yes, it will probably need a bit more collimation, but that isn't such a big deal. The images will be the same for all scopes, especially if you add a shroud to the truss-tube version, to keep out stray light. I also prefer a RACI finder to a red dot finder (which the Orion has), especially in a situation of some light pollution. The red dot finder only allows you to star-hop based on naked eye stars, which severely limits you under light-polluted skies. A RACI will show many more stars to guide you onto your target.

I recently replaced my ST80 OTA (optical tube assembly) through Orion - USA. It, too, came with the freebie-disk of Starry Night (a fine planetarium-program). I popped the disk into my D-Drive and - All Heck Broke Loose! It attached itself to as many other programs as it could before I managed to remove it from the drive! It took me hours to repair the damage it wrought. Please do NOT use it if you go that way. I informed Orion-USA of this. Maybe they got a new one - but that was my experience. BEWARE!

If you need a good planetarium-program, get Stellarium. It's free. It's excellent. And others similar could easily cost you upwards of $300US. Here's a cut & paste with the links - including instructions:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On this link is the main page for downloading Stellarium. Choose which version is correct for your computer. Here you go:

http://www.stellarium.org/

As for instructions, the most current one's are posted in Wiki due to there being new features & functions being created almost daily. There is also a Pdf. that's almost up-to-date, absolutely enough 'up-to-date' in all needed ways. Here's the Wiki-Link:

http://www.stellarium.org/wiki/index.php/Stellarium_User_Guide

And the Pdf. is here:

http://barry.sarcasmogerdes.com/stellarium/stellarium_user_guide-new.pdf

This should help you to find just about everything under the Sun.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Zhumell also comes with a fan to reduce problems with humidity on the hot and humid nights you'll be encountering in summer in St. Louis (lived in Iowa - I know). Humidity in the American Midwest is as bad for dew on the optics as wet-weather is in the UK. So that's another +++ in my book.

Thank you, Michael!

All the best -

Dave

I would go for the Zhumell. I've read the focuser is better and given that the focuser is the part of the telescope you adjust the most you want that part to be of good quality. The RACI is also a plus as they tend to be relatively expensive finders and it will probably be cheaper to add an RDF type than a RACI, plus many people replace the standard RDFs with a Telrad or Rigel Quickfinder anyway. If you were to add a Telrad then this changes the weight distribution and again the Zhumell wins because the Alt mounting position is adjustable so that you can properly rebalance the scope. while the rest have to rely on increasing the friction to prevent the scope drooping. Plus you get both a cooling fan which I've found really helps high power viewing and a laser collimator which makes night time collimation much easier.

Honestly, watch Craigslist for 8 inch dobs.  They show up pretty regularly there.  They might ask too much, but you can try talking them down after showing them new prices for similar scopes.

If you've got the money, go for a Teeter 8 inch.

5 hours ago, Louis D said:

Honestly, watch Craigslist for 8 inch dobs.  They show up pretty regularly there.  They might ask too much, but you can try talking them down after showing them new prices for similar scopes.

If you've got the money, go for a Teeter 8 inch.

I might keep an eye on Craigslist while I decide, good idea.

Them Teeters look a bit pricey.  Am I seeing that right?  They must be nice.

Assuming so, ya gotta understand, one day in 2010 I left the house with three grand in my pocket and came back with a new to me MarkVIII.  In the snow in 2013 I left with the same and came back with an Aurora (go front wheel drive!).  If I go out to buy a Teeter I might return with a Riviera or Marauder.  If I have 4 cars the wife will get angry lol.

Yes, the Teeters are hand made with exceptional wood working, optics, and mechanics.  You might even be able upgrade to a Zambuto mirror, dual speed Feathertouch focuser, and DSCs!  Of course, for that money, you could buy a really nice larger used dob with all of this on it.  Check the ads on AM and CN.  I picked up a really nice 15" dob that way years ago.

10" Skywatcher FlexTube / collapsing.

I't will fit in your car. No costly electrics/computers = nothing to go wrong!

Get it under dark sky and enjoy!

You won't regret the 2" extra aperture.....

Paul

Archived